We love Mediterranean breakfast toast in our house. The creaminess of the ricotta cheese, the crunch from the shoots and the vegetables, the softness of the poached eggs, and the sweetness of the balsamic reduction. They all make for a perfect combo. This is one brunch that I could eat on any given day and still want the next day.
Ingredients for Mediterranean Breakfast Toast
Some eggs, some soft cheese, some vegetables, and you are set.
List of Ingredients for Mediterranean Breakfast Toast:
- 8 eggs
- 4 pieces of large multigrain rye bread (or bread of choice)
- 1 cup broccoli shoots (or any shoots of choice)
- 1 large tomato
- 1/4 English cucumber (or 1 Persian cucumber)
- 1 cup of ricotta cheese
- 4 tablespoons balsamic reduction
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- water + 1 tablespoon white vinegar to poach the eggs
Other Breakfast Ideas You Will Like
Here is a sample of other breakfast ideas you can find and enjoy at Aroma and Essence.
Chopping the Vegetables
Let’s start by chopping the tomato and cucumber into bite size cubes.
- Remove the seeds of the tomato so that the bread doesn’t get too soggy.
- I like to use field tomatoes, but you can use any type you like. If you use Persian cucumbers, remove the seeds from that as well.
- Once chopped, set the chopped vegetables aside.
I like to toast one piece of bread at a time, but you can toast them all at one go if that is your choice.
- Take one piece and then spread 1/4 cup of ricotta onto it evenly.
- Using a spoon drizzle 1 tablespoon of the balsamic reduction and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil on top of the ricotta cheese.
- You can sprinkle a little bit of salt and fresh cracked pepper on it as well if you like.
Poaching an Egg
Next, I poach my eggs. To poach an egg, you have to have water boiling in a pan.
- Fill a medium sized pot halfway (enough to submerge a whole egg) and allow it to come to a rolling boil.
- Once it’s boiled, add 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to the water and allow it to boil again.
- Then crack 2 eggs directly into the pot. The vinegar helps the egg whites to cook while keeping the yolk liquid. The length for which you cook the egg depends on how well you like your yolk done.
- Since I like my eggs a little runny, I only cook them for about 3-4 minutes.
I love poached eggs. I can have them every day and still not tire of them and make so many breakfast dishes with them and love them. My husband on the other hand can’t stand them. So, he gets fried eggs instead. You can even use hard boiled eggs if that’s your preference.
Final Mediterranean Breakfast Toast
Now that our eggs are ready, we can assemble the Mediterranean breakfast toast.
- Start by adding a quarter of the broccoli shoots on top of the ricotta cheese. You can use any shoots or sprouts for this. I really enjoy this with alfalfa sprouts. Or you can replace the shoots with some arugula or even baby spinach. The choices are limitless.
- Remove 2 eggs from the water with a spider or a slotted spoon and ensure that all of the water is drained from the eggs. It’s no fun when there’s water on the toast making it soggy. Add the eggs on top of the greens.
- Sprinkle them with salt and fresh cracked pepper and then
- Add 1/4 chopped tomato and some cucumber on top of that.
- Drizzle with a 1/4 tablespoon of the balsamic reduction and 1/4 tablespoon of olive oil.
Enjoy it hot with a hot cup of coffee or tea. Repeat for the remaining 3 pieces of toast. This meal is so filling that I often find it difficult to finish the whole slice. I sometimes use a smaller slice of bread for myself. But it is such a delicious and satisfying meal.
There is so much one can do with this:
- Feta cheese – crumble some feta on the bread instead. It goes really well with the vegetables.
- Gluten free bread – not a fan of gluten or have sensitivities. Replace the bread with one of your choice.
- Make it into a wrap – my kids love making this into a wrap. Take a regular or gluten free wrap and place all ingredients in that and roll it up and enjoy.
- Red pepper – add chopped pepper to the mix and see how you enjoy that.
Tried and Liked the Recipe?
Scroll to the bottom of the page, and past the recipe to find the comment form. Please fill out details of what you liked and what you would like to see improved. Comments are loved! I look forward to hearing how much you enjoyed the recipe!
Don’t forget to sign up for the free newsletter and be the first to learn about all my new recipes. And, don’t forget to follow me on my social media accounts: Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, and Twitter.
Mediterranean Breakfast ToastCourse: BreakfastCuisine: MediterraneanDifficulty: Easy
This Mediterranean breakfast toast is a perfect brunch. Creamy ricotta, crunchy vegetables, and soft poached eggs topped on a piece of toast.
4 pieces of large multigrain rye bread
1 cup broccoli shoots (or any shoots of choice)
1 large tomato
1/4 English cucumber (or 1 Persian cucumber)
1 cup of ricotta cheese
4 tablespoons balsamic reduction
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
salt to taste
fresh cracked black pepper to taste
water + 1 tablespoon white vinegar to poach the eggs
- Chop the tomato and cucumber into small cubes. Remove the seeds from the tomatoes. Set aside.
- Poach the eggs. To poach the eggs, bring the water to a rolling boil. Add a tablespoon of white vinegar to the water. Crack the eggs directly into the water and allow them to cook to your liking. For runny yolks, boil for about 3-4 minutes.
- Toast the bread and spread 1/4 of the ricotta onto each piece of toast.
- Drizzle 1/4 tablespoon of olive oil and 1/4 tablespoon of the balsamic reduction on top of the ricotta.
- Add 1/4 of the shoots on top of the ricotta.
- Remove the poached eggs from the water using a spider or slotted spoon. Ensure that you drain all the water.
- Add 2 eggs on top of the shoots.
- Sprinkle 1/4 of the tomatoes and 1/4 of the cucumber cubes on top of the eggs. Sprinkle with salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste.
- Drizzle with 1/4 tablespoon of olive oil and 1/4 tablespoon of the balsamic reduction.
- Enjoy warm with a fresh cup of coffee.
Ricotta is a mild soft cheese. You can replace it with similar cheeses such as mascarpone, cottage cheese, or even whipped feta. Try using cream cheese instead as well.
When making my Mediterranean breakfast or any other similar meal, replace the bread with a bed of lettuce, spinach, or arugula for a lower carb meal. It will be equally delicious.
My Mediterranean breakfast toast recipe can be keto friendly, if you replace the bread with lettuce or spinach it definitely qualifies as keto. Add hollandaise sauce on top for added fat.
To poach an egg, add water to a pan and allow it to come to a rolling boil. Once it’s boiled, I add 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to the water and allow it to boil again. Then crack the egg directly into the pot.