Pumpkin is one of those things that everyone in the family likes in one thing or the other. We all have our favorites and I use pumpkin in so many recipes, including these delicious fluffy pumpkin pancakes. I make pumpkin cookies, pumpkin lattes, baked pumpkin, pumpkin tarts, and pies to name a few things. So many delicious things come from this humble squash.
Ingredients for Gluten Free Pumpkin Pancakes
The normal pancake ingredients with one extra ingredient – pumpkin. Well, almost, I make mine into gluten free pancakes.
Ingredients List for Gluten Free Pumpkin Pancakes:
- 2 cups gluten free flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup raw pumpkin cubes
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla essence
More Breakfast Ideas you will Like:
The Dry Ingredients
I make my own gluten free flour, using brown rice flour, buckwheat flour, and tapioca starch. However, you can use store bought flour instead. Let’s start by mixing all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, ground nutmeg, (ground cinnamon and clove if using), salt, and sugar into the bowl and mix them all together so that the spices are uniformly distributed.
The Pumpkin Puree
Now we can puree the pumpkin. I have tried this recipe with butternut squash, sugar pumpkin, and green pumpkin and they all taste equally good in this recipe. I tend to lean more towards butternut squash, but you can use any one of your choice. Peel and chop the pumpkin into cubes and using a blender or food processor puree it until it’s smooth. Check out my home made pumpkin puree recipe here.
The Batter for Gluten Free Pumpkin Pancakes
Now we can get the wet ingredients together. In a separate bowl or measuring cup, beat the eggs, and then add the buttermilk to the bowl. Melt the butter in a microwave or on a stove top and pour that into the bowl as well – make sure the butter isn’t hot or else the eggs will start to scramble and we don’t want that to happen. Add the vanilla and mix everything well to get one homogenous mixture.
Pour the liquid mix into the bowl with the dry ingredients and add the pureed pumpkin into the bowl as well. Mix everything using a whisk or a fork. Do not over mix and leave the mixture a little clumpy. A clumpy mixture makes softer and fluffier pancakes.
Cooking the Gluten Free Pumpkin Pancakes
Heat a skillet or a pan and spread some butter on the skillet. Pour a ladle full of pancake mix onto the skillet and allow it to cook for about 2-3 minutes on one side on medium high heat. You will see bubbles form and that’s a good sign. Once the sides start to lift off a little, flip the pancake over and cook for a further 2 minutes. Repeat till all the pancakes are ready.
Storing the Gluten Free Pumpkin Pancakes
Enjoy the pancakes warm, with some fresh fruit, pure maple syrup, and some whipped cream. Try them with my decadent home made chocolate sauce and you will never go back to having them without.
Store any leftover pancakes in an air tight container in the fridge for the next day. Heat them in the microwave and enjoy.
Tried and Liked the Recipe?
Scroll to the bottom of the page, and past the recipe to find the comment form. Please fill out details of what you liked and what you would like to see improved. Comments are loved! I look forward to hearing how much you enjoyed the recipe!
Don’t forget to sign up for the free newsletter and be the first to learn about all my new recipes. And, don’t forget to follow me on my social media accounts: Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, and Twitter.
Fluffy Gluten Free Pumpkin PancakesCourse: BreakfastCuisine: CanadianDifficulty: Easy
These fluffy gluten free pumpkin pancakes are so easy to prepare. The warmth of the spices mingled with the nuttiness of the pumpkin is a perfect fall treat.
2 cups gluten free flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
1/4 teaspoon ground clove (optional)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup raw pumpkin cubes
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
4 tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon real vanilla essence
- Mix all the dry ingredients from gluten free flour to sugar in a large mixing bowl and mix well so that the spices are uniformly distributed.
- Using a food processor or hand blender, puree the pumpkin.
- In a separate bowl or measuring cup, beat the eggs, add the buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla essence and mix together.
- Pour the liquid mix and the pureed pumpkin into the dry ingredients and using a fork or a whisk, mix lightly. Do not over mix. A clumpy mixture means soft pancakes.
- Allow the mixture to sit for a couple of mins and if needed, add a little milk or more buttermilk to thin it out.
- Heat and butter a skillet or pan and pour a ladle full of pancake mix onto the skillet. Cook on one side for about 2-3 mins on medium high heat and once bubbles form on the pancake, flip and cook on the other side for 2 mins.
- Enjoy warm with some fresh fruit, maple syrup, and fresh cream.