Thai mango salad is one of my all time favourites. I grew up with the fruit in the back yard and we enjoyed them when they were barely ripe enough to pluck from the trees, to when they were so ripe that they dripped juices as we peeled them. But my all time favourite has always been this recipe with a mix of spices and herbs. It’s so fast and easy to make and you will want to make it all the time during the summer months when the fruit is readily available.
The Ingredients for Thai Mango Salad
A couple of fruits, a few herbs, and some oil and you have yourself a fresh Asian recipe.
The Ingredients List for Thai Mango Salad:
- 1 large semi ripe mango – I prefer to use a fruit that is still a little hard to the touch. That way it’s not too juicy and much easier to cut.
- 1/2 red pepper – This adds to the sweetness and provides the crunch.
- 1 red chili – provides the perfect amount of heat.
- 2 green onions – add to the freshness.
- 2 tablespoons finely sliced red onions – I love the slightly sharp taste of the onion that adds contrast to the sweetness and the tanginess.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fish oil – wouldn’t be Thai mango salad without it.
- 1 lime – provides the tang that goes so well with the sweetness of the fruit.
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- salt to taste
- Fresh coriander – the herbs provide freshness.
- Bean sprouts (optional) – add more crunch to the Asian recipe.
- Peanuts (optional)
More Salad Recipes you will Like:
Making the Recipe:
This is a simple to make recipe:
- Peel and slice the delicious Fruit. I like to cut it into strips, but you can cut it in whichever way you like.
- Peel and slice the Red Onion. I like to cut it into very thin strips, but you can cut it whichever way you like.
- Slice the Red Pepper. Cut it into long strips.
- Finely chop the Red Chili. I like to keep the seeds in, but you can discard them if you prefer a less spicy version.
- Finely chop the Green Onion and Fresh Coriander.
- Add everything to a bowl and toss it together.
The Dressing for Thai Mango Salad:
I like a simple dressing for this Asian salad since it already has so many flavours going on with all the fruits and herbs. To make the dressing:
- Pour the Olive oil into a bowl.
- Pour the Fish oil into the bowl as well.
- Squeeze the Lime juice into the bowl.
- Then add the Sugar into the bowl as well.
- Mix everything together with a fork or a small whisk so it emulsifies and forms a dressing.
- Pour the dressing into the bowl with the fruit and herb mix.
- Toss to combine.
- Add Salt to taste.
Add beansprouts and peanuts on top for added crunch.
I typically serve this recipe as a side dish with:
- My Grilled Chicken Thighs. It is a perfect combo with that. The Asian flavours go so well together.
- Try it with my Korean Chicken Wings. It’s another super combo.
- I personally like to have it with my Baked Seekh Kebabs.
- My all time favourite thing to have this with is my Thai Style Peanut Chicken Skewers.
Make Ahead vs Fresh:
Although this recipe is best enjoyed fresh, it can be made ahead when pressed for time. Peel and slice the fruit and keep it in an airtight container in the fridge. Similarly, make the dressing ahead and keep it in a separate air tight container in the fridge. When you are ready to serve, toss all the ingredients together and enjoy a fresh delicious crunchy salad.
You can customize the recipe to your liking. Here are a few suggestions:
- Replace the coriander with fresh Mint or even fresh Basil. Both of these herbs tend to go very well with mango.
- Replace the fresh chili with chili flakes. If using flakes, add them to the dressing before tossing them into the fruit and herb mix.
- Replace the sugar with honey or even maple syrup for a more natural sweetener.
Tried and Liked the Recipe?
Scroll to the bottom of the page, and past the recipe to find the comment form. Please fill out details of what you liked and what you would like to see improved. Comments are loved! I look forward to hearing how much you enjoyed the recipe!
Don’t forget to sign up for the free newsletter and be the first to learn about all my new recipes. And, don’t forget to follow me on my social media accounts: Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, and Twitter.
Delicious Thai Mango SaladCourse: SaladCuisine: AsianDifficulty: Easy
My mango salad is sweet, tangy, crunchy, refreshing, and outright delicious. It’s perfect for a summer backyard barbecue or picnic with friends.
1 large semi ripe mango
1/2 red pepper
1 red chili
2 green onions
2 tablespoons finely sliced onions
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon fish oil
Bean sprouts optional
- Peel and slice the mango.
- Slice the red pepper.
- Peel and finely slice the red onion.
- Finely chop the green onion, red chili, and coriander.
- Add everything into a bowl and toss.
- Mix the olive oil, fish oil, lime juice, and sugar in a small bowl.
- Add it to the bowl with the mango and mix everything well so that the fruits are covered in the dressing.
- Serve with a topping of bean sprouts and crushed roasted peanuts.