Tomato and Mozzarella salad is one of my favourite salads. Make it with heirloom tomatoes and it’s even better. All those different textures and colours of tomatoes make this salad even better. But what makes it even better than that? My sun dried tomato salad dressing. I know most Caprese salads are generally served just with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar, but try this dressing and you will want to use it for all kinds of other salads.
The Ingredients for the Tomato and Mozzarella Salad
Only a few fresh ingredients make this salad so delicious.
The Ingredients List for the Salad:
Sun dried tomato dressing
- 2 tablespoons chopped sun dried tomatoes
- 1 shallot
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dehydrated parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 large heirloom tomatoes
- 1 large ball of fresh mozzarella cheese (250 gms)
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
Salad Dressings and Dips you will Like:
The Salad Dressing Recipe:
First, let’s make the dressing and set it aside. I love this dressing. I use it for all kinds of other salads as well. It’s so easy to make and it can be stored in the fridge in a container or a mason jar for up to 2 months. I like to use the sun dried tomatoes that we get in a jar with oil, but you can use any other kind too. I make a larger batch and leave it in the fridge for easy access.
To make the salad dressing,
- Start by finely chopping about 2 tablespoons of sun dried tomatoes. I cut the sun dried tomatoes into about 1/4 of a centimeter, but you can chop them a bit bigger if you prefer.
- Next, chop one shallot and 1 garlic clove finely as well. I use a garlic press for the garlic. The kids prefer not to have to chew on raw pieces of garlic
- Now, we can mix the dressing. In a large bowl, add :
- the sun dried tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dehydrated parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix them all well and then slowly add 4 tablespoons of olive oil into the bowl. Use a fork or a small whisk to mix in the oil. Set it aside while you prepare the tomatoes and mozzarella.
Prepping the Tomato and Mozzarella Salad
Let’s get working on the salad:
- Wash and dry the heirloom tomatoes and the fresh basil. Slice the tomatoes into 1/2 cm slices. I try and use all the different colours of heirloom tomatoes I can find.
- Also, slice the ball of fresh mozzarella into 1/2 cm slices.
Assembling the Tomato and Mozzarella Salad Recipe
Now we can make the heirloom tomato and mozzarella salad. To make the salad,
- arrange the tomatoes and fresh mozzarella in an alternating pattern.
- Roughly chop some fresh basil leaves and sprinkle them on top of the tomatoes and mozzarella. Alternatively, you can place whole basil leaves between the mozzarella and the tomatoes too. In our house, not everyone likes fresh basil, so I chop it up and sprinkle it. That way, they can see it and pick it off the top if they don’t want it.
Now comes the sun dried tomato dressing we made. Since the oil and vinegar have a tendency of separating, make sure to mix the dressing again before you pour about 4 tablespoons worth of dressing on top of the tomatoes and fresh mozzarella.
Serving Suggestions for Tomato and Mozzarella Salad:
Enjoy the salad right away as a side with:
Tried and Liked the Recipe?
Scroll to the bottom of the page, and past the recipe to find the comment form. Please fill out details of what you liked and what you would like to see improved. Comments are loved! I look forward to hearing how much you enjoyed the recipe!
Don’t forget to sign up for the free newsletter and be the first to learn about all my new recipes. And, don’t forget to follow me on my social media accounts: Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, and Twitter.
Heirloom Tomato and Mozzarella SaladCourse: Salad, SideCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
My simple tomato and mozzarella salad, topped with a homemade sun dried tomato and olive oil dressing is so easy to make and enjoy.
- Sun dried tomato dressing
2 tablespoons chopped sun dried tomatoes
1 garlic clove
4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon dehydrated parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Other ingredients
4 large heirloom tomatoes
1 large ball of fresh mozzarella cheese (250 gms)
Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- The dressing
- Finely chop the sun dried tomatoes, shallot, and garlic.
- Add all the dressing ingredients except the olive oil into the bowl and using a fork, mix them all together.
- Slowly pour the olive oil into the bowl as you continue to stir with a fork or a whisk. Set aside.
- The salad
- Wash and dry the heirloom tomatoes and the fresh basil.
- Slice the tomatoes into 1/2 cm thick slices. Also, slice the ball of fresh mozzarella into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Arrange the tomatoes and mozzarella in an alternating pattern on a dinner plate or a platter.
- Sprinkle the chopped basil on top of the tomatoes and mozzarella. Alternatively, you can place a single leaf basil leaf after each piece of mozzarella.
- Shake or whisk the dressing again just before dressing the salad and serve right away.
- Enjoy the salad right away as a side with homemade pizza, or with my oven roasted chicken thighs.
Tomato and Mozzarella salad, also known as Caprese salad is very easy to make. Simply line up sliced fresh tomato and fresh mozzarella cheese in an alternating pattern. Add basil and you have a gorgeous salad.
I love to serve my tomato and mozzarella salad with homemade pizza, or any kind of barbequed or grilled protein such as chicken thighs.
Definitely! The combo of fiber from the fresh tomatoes, the protein from fresh mozzarella, and the simple dressing made with olive oil make it a delicious and healthy salad.