This refreshing rhubarb slushy is one of our favourites. It’s slightly sweet, slightly tart, cold, and absolutely delicious. There’s no cooking involved and it’s guaranteed to become your favourite summer beverage. In 15 minutes you can have a drink that will impress everyone.
The Ingredients for Refreshing Summer Rhubarb Slushy
Four simple ingredients and you have the best refreshing iced beverage recipe.
The Ingredients List:
- 2 cups raw rhubarb (about 6-8 stalks)
- 1/2 cup water
- pinch of salt – this helps bring out the flavours in the beverage.
- 3 limes – provide brightness to it.
- 1/2 cup maple syrup – Add the sweetness that is needed.
- 5 cups of ice cold water (or as per your taste)
- ice as needed – the one key ingredient for all iced beverages.
More Drink Recipes you will Like:
Blending the Rhubarb Stalks:
Let’s start with making the juice. Wash and chop the stalks into small pieces. Place the chopped stalks, 1/2 cup water, and salt into a food processor or blender and blend until the stalks are finely chopped. The idea is to blend it so that the juice can be easily extracted.
Extracting the Juice:
Once you have it blended, place a cheesecloth on a jug or a large measuring cup and pour it onto the cheesecloth. You want to use a cheesecloth so that none of the pulp goes into the juice. Using a sieve will not work for this because it will allow some of the pulp to flow through. The idea is to catch it all.
Nothing worse than trying to enjoy an iced beverage and you get pulp in your mouth. Tie the cheesecloth and squeeze so that all of the juice is extracted from it. Discard the pulp.
Making the Recipe:
Now that the juice is ready, we can make the summer beverage. Pour the maple syrup into the jug and mix well until all the syrup has dissolved into the juice. Cut and squeeze all the limes into the jug and mix well. Add the ice cold water to the jug and using a large wooden spoon mix it all in. We now have a delicious rhubarb limeade.
Taste it and adjust the sweetness as needed. I like mine tart, but if you prefer it sweeter, now’s the time to add more maple syrup. You can also reduce the amount of water you add. If you want it tarter, try with 4 cups of water and then add more if desired. Taste as you go and adjust accordingly.
Add 3/4 cup of the limeade into the blender and add a cup of ice. Blend so that the ice is crushed and you have an iced beverage. Serve it right away and enjoy.
I love changing things up from time to time.
- Try melted Honey in place of maple syrup.
- I sometimes like to add Vanilla Syrup to it. This means adding sugar, but once in a while, the sugar is so needed.
- Don’t have lime? Fret not! Use Lemons in place of lime. Lemon juice tastes just as good as lime juice.
- Add a couple of Strawberries when you blend. The strawberries provide natural sweetness and fruitiness to the beverage.
- For an adult version, add a shot of vodka, gin, or even brandy.
Reserve any leftovers in the fridge for later use. It can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days – if it lasts that long that is. Remove from the fridge, add ice and blend and enjoy.
If you like the recipe please leave a comment below. Don’t forget to sign up for the free newsletter and be the first to learn about all my new recipes. And, don’t forget to follow me on my social media accounts Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter.
Refreshing Summer Rhubarb SlushyCourse: Drinks, SideCuisine: CanadianDifficulty: Easy
This naturally sweetened summer rhubarb slushy is so refreshing that it will become your go to drink every summer. Good for the kids as is and good for the adults with a shot of alcohol of choice.
2 cups raw rhubarb
1/2 cup water
pinch of salt
1/2 cup maple syrup
5 cups of ice cold water (or less as per your taste)
ice as needed
- Wash and chop the rhubarb into small pieces.
- Place the stalks, 1/4 cup water, and salt into a food processor or blender and blend until they are finely chopped.
- Place a cheesecloth onto a jug or measuring cup and pour the blended pulp onto it. Tie the cheesecloth and squeeze all the juice out. Discard the pulp.
- Pour the maple syrup into the jug and mix well until all the maple syrup has dissolved.
- Cut and squeeze all the limes into the jug and mix well. Add the ice cold water to the jug and using a large wooden spoon mix it all in.
- Taste the limeade and adjust for sweetness as needed.
- When ready to make your beverage place 3/4 cup of the rhubarb limeade into the blender, add about 1 cup of ice and blend to form an iced beverage. Make one cup at a time or as needed.
- Reserve the remaining limeade in the fridge.