I am in love with rhubarb strawberry salsa. In general, I love rhubarb. As soon as spring hits, I am out hunting for it all over the hood. I buy it in bunches and use it for all kinds of things, like salsa, tarts, galettes, drinks, and stewed served with delicious custard. We all fight for this salsa whenever I make it. This salsa hardly has time to sit in our house.
The Ingredients for Rhubarb Strawberry Salsa
This recipe is made with a lot of the usual ingredients that can be found in a kitchen with the exception of one key component.
Ingredients List for the Condiment:
- 2 cups worth of rhubarb
- 1 cup of fresh strawberries
- 1/2 an onion – white or red
- 1/2 red sweet pepper
- 1 yellow chili (or any chili of choice) – I choose yellow for the color contrast
- 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
More Snack Ideas you will Like:
Prepping the Rhubarb
The first step to making this delicious rhubarb strawberry salsa is to prep the rhubarb properly.
- Cut the rhubarb into 4-inch long pieces.
- Boil water in a pot large enough to fit all of the rhubarb.
- As soon as the water is boiling, add the chopped rhubarb to the pot and turn off the heat.
- Stir once and drain the rhubarb right away. The idea is to just heat the rhubarb to get rid of some of the tartness.
- As soon you drain the water, run the rhubarb under cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Let it cool down while you get the rest of the ingredients ready.
NOTE: Do not leave the rhubarb in the hot water for more than one minute or else it will lose its shape and start to disintegrate. Basically, the color of the rhubarb shouldn’t change when you are done heating it.
The Dressing for Rhubarb Strawberry Salsa
The second step for making perfectly delicious rhubarb strawberry salsa is making a good “dressing”. This is where the flavors come in.
- In a bowl, mix the honey, vinegar, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
- Set aside and prep the rest of the ingredients.
Preparing Other Ingerdients:
Let’s get the rest of the ingredients ready for the salsa:
- Wash and finely chop the strawberries into tiny cubes – about 1/2 cm pieces.
- Put them into a large mixing bowl.
- Finely chop the onion and add to the bowl.
- Deseed and finely chop the red sweet pepper. Add this to the bowl as well.
- Finely chop the yellow chili (or jalapeno) and add to the bowl.
- Mix everything together and set it aside.
Adding the Rhubarb
Now, remember the rhubarb we have sitting awaiting attention? Well, by now it should be totally cooled down. Let’s add it to the bowl.
- Chop it into small pieces – about 1/2 cm pieces.
- Add all of the rhubarb into the bowl with the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix everything well so that all of the veggies and fruits are combined.
Adding the Dressing to Rhubarb Strawberry Salsa
Now that we have all the ingredients ready in the bowl,we can dress them.
- Add the dressing we made earlier into the bowl and mix well.
- Allow it to mingle with the ingredients for the delicious rhubarb strawberry salsa we’ve been working towards.
- Taste it for salt / sweetness
- Cover the bowl with a lid or plastic wrap and place it in the fridge for about an hour. This will make all the difference to the salsa. It will allow the flavors to marry and give you a perfect snack.
- After the hour is up, remove from the fridge, sprinkle some freshly chopped coriander into the bowl, and enjoy!
Enjoy this finger licking rhubarb strawberry salsa with :
- a side of nacho chips.
- on tacos or tostada.
- my one-pot Mexican pulled chicken.
*** PROTIP *** Do not discard the juices collected at the bottom of the bowl. The juices make for a delicious salad dressing. Just add some olive oil and enjoy!
Tried and Liked the Recipe?
Scroll to the bottom of the page, and past the recipe to find the comment form. Please fill out details of what you liked and what you would like to see improved. Comments are loved! I look forward to hearing how much you enjoyed the recipe!
Don’t forget to sign up for the free newsletter and be the first to learn about all my new recipes. And, don’t forget to follow me on my social media accounts: Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, and Twitter.
Rhubarb Strawberry SalsaCourse: SnackCuisine: CanadianDifficulty: Easy
This tart, spicy, and sweet rhubarb strawberry salsa is bursting with amazing flavors and is going to become your favorite kind of salsa. It’s a guaranteed hit for potlucks.
2 cups fresh rhubarb
1 cup of fresh strawberries
1/2 white onion
1/2 red pepper
1 yellow chili
2 tablespoons honey (or maple syrup for a vegan version)
2 tablespoons white balsamic
fresh coriander for serving
salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and chop the rhubarb into 4 inch pieces.
- Boil a pot of water large enough to fit the rhubarb. Once the water is boiling, drop the rhubarb into it and turn the heat off. Stir the pot once and remove the rhubarb from the hot water right away. It needs less than a minute to take the sour edge off.
- Rinse the rhubarb under cold water right away to stop the cooking process and set it aside to cool completely.
- In the meantime, chop the strawberries into tiny cubes – about 1/2 cm each. Place them into a mixing bowl.
- Seed and finely chop yellow chili pepper. Finely chop the onion and bell pepper. Add them to the bowl as well.
- In another smaller bowl, squeeze your lime juice, and add the honey (or maple syrup), vinegar, salt, and pepper. Mix everything well to form a dressing.
- Add the dressing to the bowl and mix it all really well to combine. Transfer the salsa into a container with a tight lid and place it in the fridge for about an hour or so.
- Sprinkle with fresh cut coriander and enjoy with some chips.
- It can be stored in an air tight container for up to one day.
- – PROTIP – do not discard the juices collected at the bottom of the bowl. The juices make for a delicious salad dressing. Just add some olive oil and enjoy!