I love this summer barbecued corn salad with the simple ingredients and the clean taste of simple flavors. Nothing beats the crisp sweet flavor of barbecued corn. Combine that with the tartness of the lime and the sweetness of the cherry tomatoes and you have a sure winner. We enjoy barbecued corn a lot during the summer months. I love making extras so we can have this barbecued corn salad as well.
The Ingredients for Summer Barbecued Corn Salad
Just a handful of fresh ingredients and you can make the best corn salad in the world.
Ingredients List for Summer Barbecued Corn Salad:
- 2 ears of corn
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 small red onion
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes
- 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
More Vegetarian Salad Recipes you will Like:
Barbecuing the Corn:
Let’s start by barbecuing the corn.
- Remove the husk and hair from 1 ears of corn.
- Heat the barbecue to 400 degrees and place the corn on the barbecue.
- Rotate and turn the corn a few times to ensure even browning of the corn.
- Once the corn has browned on all sides, remove it from the heat and allow it to cool on a cookie rack.
- The time it takes to brown the corn will depend on your barbecue, so you will need to judge that based on your own barbecue.
Baking the Corn:
Don’t have a barbecue, worry not! During the winter months, when we don’t often use the barbecue, I place my corn in the oven and bake it. It has the same effect.
- Lightly rub some oil on the corn and preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the corn on a 9 x 13 inch baking tray and bake it for about 15 mins.
- I place a cookie rack on top of the baking tray. This ensures that the corn doesn’t get soggy from the baking. If it doesn’t get brown, you can always place it under the broiler for a few minutes till it browns.
Shucking the Corn:
Once the corn has cooled down, shuck it using a large sharp knife. I stand the corn up on a chopping board and run the knife down at a slant all the way down one side until all the corn from one side is gone.
Then I turn the ear of corn and do the same for all sides until all the corn has been shucked. Place the shucked corn into a large mixing bowl. Do not discard the cobbs. I save them and use them to make a stock, which I use for soups. The husk has a lot of flavour that we can extract and use.
Assembling the Summer Barbecued Corn Salad
Now that we are ready with the corn, we can assemble the salad.
- Finely chop 1 small red onion and 1 jalapeno pepper. I keep the seeds on mine, but if you prefer a slightly less spicy version, you can seed your jalapeno before chopping it. If you prefer a more spicy version, you can replace the jalapeno with a more spicy green chili.
- Add the onions and jalapeno into the bowl with the corn as well.
- Quarter 1 cup of cherry tomatoes and place them into the bowl.
- Squeeze the juice of 1 lime directly into the bowl, ensuring to catch the seeds if there are any.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of cumin powder, 1 teaspoon of paprika, and salt, and pepper to taste to the bowl as well.
- Using a large spoon, mix everything so that you get a well mixed salad.
During the summer months, we enjoy this barbecued corn salad as a side with any main dish. Try it with:
Tried and Liked the Recipe?
Scroll to the bottom of the page, and past the recipe to find the comment form. Please fill out details of what you liked and what you would like to see improved. Comments are loved! I look forward to hearing how much you enjoyed the recipe!
Don’t forget to sign up for the free newsletter and be the first to learn about all my new recipes. And, don’t forget to follow me on my social media accounts: Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, and Twitter.
Ultimate Summer Barbecued Corn SaladCourse: SaladCuisine: Mexican, CanadianDifficulty: Easy
This easy to make summer barbecued corn salad is the ultimate summer salad and is totally addictive. It is made with fresh and healthy ingredients to get the best results.
2 ears of corn ( approximately 1 1/2 cups)
1 jalapeno pepper
1 small red onion
1 cup of cherry tomatoes
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon paprika
salt and pepper to taste
- Roast the ear of corn on a 400 degree barbecue for about 10 mins. Turn it around every couple of minutes to ensure evenly barbecued corn. The time will depend on the type of barbecue you use, so you will need to judge that.
- Using a sharp knife, shuck the corn and toss the cobbs. Place the corn in a large mixing bowl.
- Finely chop the jalapeno and onion. Add it to the bowl.
- Chop the cherry tomatoes into quarters and add them to the bowl as well.
- Squeeze the lime into the bowl.
- Add the olive oil, spices, salt, and pepper to the bowl.
- Mix everything to combine and form your barbecued corn salad.
- Enjoy as a side with any main dish. Try it with my Mexican pulled chicken, or my oven grilled chicken.