This edamame and mango salad is fresh, crunchy, simple, satisfying, and colorful. The sweet fresh mango, the red pepper, and the slight spiciness from the red onion make this salad a perfect combination. We enjoy this salad a lot during the summer months when mangoes are plentiful.
I generally buy my edamame from the freezer section of the grocery store. You can find edamame in the shell or pre-shelled. For this recipe, we will use the pre-shelled ones. However, if you do not find the pre-shelled edamame, you can always spend some time shelling them. The salad will take a little longer to make, but it’s not impossible.
The Ingredients for Edamame and Mango Salad
5 simple, but fresh ingredients, one delicious creamy crunchy salad.
Ingredients List for Edamame and Mango Salad:
- 1 large semi-ripe mango
- 2 cups edamame beans (shelled)
- 1 sweet red bell pepper
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 large green onion (scallion)
- My Japanese sesame seed dressing
More Salad Recipes you will Like:
First off, let’s start with the edamame. The only thing that needs to be cooked in the salad is the edamame.
- Boil a pot of water and drop 2 cups of edamame beans into the water.
- Let them cook for 1 min.
- Drain them and right away toss them into ice cold water or place them under cold running water for a couple of minutes. The idea is to stop the cooking process right away. We just want to cook them ever so slightly so that they lose their raw edge.
Prepping The Mango
While the edamame is cooling
- Peel and chop one large mango. Chop it into 1 cm pieces and place it into a bowl. I like to use a mango that is not soft to the touch. It has to be firm so that when we add it to the rest of the crisp and crunchy ingredients, it doesn’t mellow out the crunchiness.
The Rest of the Vegetables:
We are now ready to chop the rest of the vegetables:
- Seed and chop 1 red bell pepper into 1 cm cubes and add it to the bowl.
- Chop the 1/2 red onion and 1 large scallion finely. Add them to the bowl as well.
- Toss everything together so that all the vegetables and mango are mixed well. You will see all the delightful colors come together. I love this salad for this reason. It has so many beautiful colors.
Dressing the Edamame and Mango Salad:
I dress my salad with my creamy Japanese sesame seed dressing (the recipe can be found here).
Add the desired quantity into the bowl and mix everything using a large spoon. I usually start with about 4 tablespoons of dressing and mix it into the salad. I then taste it and add more if I feel there isn’t enough.
Taste and Adjust the Salad
Taste a small amount of the salad to ensure that there is sufficient dressing on it. Each person has their own preference for the amount of dressing, so I will leave that for you to decide on your own.
If you prefer not to use the Japanese salad dressing, you can add a dressing of your own choice. I have served this salad with just some good quality balsamic vinegar and olive oil. It’s just as delicious with the addition of those two things.
Serving Suggestions for Edamame and Mango Salad:
Serve the salad right away with any side of your choice. This salad doesn’t store too well, because the mango will go soggy if left in the dressing for too long. If you plan on serving the salad at a later time then when you make it, you can prep the edamame and the rest of the ingredients, but don’t chop the mango. Chop the mango and dress the salad just when ready to serve.
Try it as an accompaniment to :
Tried and Liked the Recipe?
Scroll to the bottom of the page, and past the recipe to find the comment form. Please fill out details of what you liked and what you would like to see improved. Comments are loved! I look forward to hearing how much you enjoyed the recipe!
Don’t forget to sign up for the free newsletter and be the first to learn about all my new recipes. And, don’t forget to follow me on my social media accounts: Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, and Twitter.
Edamame and Mango SaladCourse: SaladCuisine: CanadianDifficulty: Easy
This healthy edamame salad is crunchy, sweet, perfectly balanced, and dressed with a creamy Japanese sesame seed dressing. The creaminess of the dressing combined with the sweetness of the mango makes it a perfect salad.
1 large semi-ripe mango
2 cups edamame beans (shelled)
1 sweet red bell pepper
1/2 red onion
1 large green onion (scallion)
- Peel and dice the mango into 1 cm cubes.
- Boil the edamame for 1 min and then drain and toss them into ice water or under cold running water for a couple of mins to stop the cooking process.
- Seed and chop the red bell pepper into 1 cm cubes.
- Finely slice the red onion and scallion.
- Toss everything into a bowl and mix well. Add the desired amount of my Japanese sesame seed dressing to the bowl and toss to mix.
- Enjoy as a side to my udon noodles or with my oven roasted chicken.
5 simple, but fresh ingredients, one delicious creamy crunchy edamame and mango salad:
– 1 large semi-ripe mango
– 2 cups edamame beans (shelled)
– 1 sweet red bell pepper
– 1/2 red onion
– 1 large green onion (scallion)
– My Japanese sesame seed dressing
Shelled edamame is best when it’s blanched.
– Boil a pot of water and drop 2 cups of edamame beans into the water.
– Let them cook for 1 min.
– Drain them and right away toss them into ice cold water to stop the cooking immediately.