In our house, warm potato salad is a favorite and the kids fight over it. Leftovers are always welcome the next day. Although it’s a warm salad, it can be enjoyed just as well the next day. Use any kind of red potatoes for this delicious warm potato salad. I often use specialty small potatoes. They make the salad look so tempting with all the different colours.
The Ingredients for Warm Potato Salad
For this salad, you will need, mayonnaise, relish (or finely chopped pickles), Worcestershire sauce, one red chili (you can use a green one in its place), one green onion, and coriander (or parsley if you prefer that).
The Ingredients List for Warm Potato Salad:
- 4 large red potatoes of any kind
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons relish (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 red chili
- 1 green onion
- fresh coriander
- salt and pepper to taste
More Salad Ideas you will Like:
Firstly, we need to boil the potatoes for the salad:
- Cut whatever potatoes you are using into bite size pieces.
- Boil a large pot of water and add the potatoes to the water.
- Add a liberal amount of salt to the pot as well so as to flavour the potatoes evenly.
- Allow the potatoes to boil for about 20 mins, or until they are soft when poked with a fork.
- Once done, immediately drain the water and allow the potatoes to stop steaming.
Assembling the Warm Potato Salad
Since it’s a warm potato salad, you need to make it while the potatoes are still warm. Once the potatoes have cooled enough to handle:
- Place the chopped potatoes in a large mixing bowl.
- Then add to the bowl:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise – this provides creaminess to the salad.
- 2 tablespoons relish – this adds a salty, sweet, and tangy flavour to the salad.
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce – this provides a wonderful umami flavour.
- 1 tablespoon paprika – it helps enhance the colour. I love the reddish tinge it adds.
- 1 red chili – is in fact an optional addition, but I love the slight spiciness and freshness it brings
- 1 green onion – adds a lovely earthy, yet sharp green flavour. And since we are not adding any other sharpness, it is a wonderful addition.
- fresh coriander – this adds freshness to the warm salad.
- Mix everything well to combine and make sure that all of the pieces of potato are well coated. You can add the mayonnaise, relish, and Worcestershire sauce first to coat the potatoes, then add the rest of the ingredients.
In order to enjoy the warm potato salad thoroughly, sprinkle it with more fresh coriander or even parsley, green onions, and red chili. Serve as a side to any number of main courses such as :
It is great for Barbecues, Summer Backyard Parties, and Pot Lucks.
Substitutions for Warm Potato Salad:
This salad has so many possibilities:
- Try to replace the mayonnaise with sour cream. It brings a completely different flavour profile and makes the salad a lot fresher tasting.
- If you don’t like the sweet flavour of the relish, try replacing it with finely chopped dill pickle instead. Watch the tartness give the salad a kick.
- Add some fresh toasted almonds or pistachios as a topper to the salad. I love the crunch they provide.
- Make it even richer by adding protein rich shared boiled eggs to the salad.
Tried and Liked the Recipe?
Scroll to the bottom of the page, and past the recipe to find the comment form. Please fill out details of what you liked and what you would like to see improved. Comments are loved! I look forward to hearing how much you enjoyed the recipe!
Don’t forget to sign up for the free newsletter and be the first to learn about all my new recipes. And, don’t forget to follow me on my social media accounts: Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, and Twitter.
Delicious Warm Potato SaladCourse: SaladsCuisine: CanadianDifficulty: Easy
This delicious warm potato salad is so easy to make but can be enjoyed with so many different mains. It is a guaranteed success at potlucks with kids and adults alike.
4 large red potatoes of any kind
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons relish (optional)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon paprika
1 red chili
1 green onion
salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the potatoes till almost soft.
- Once the potatoes cool down so you can handle them, chop them into 1 inch cubes.
- Chop onion, chili, and coriander.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all ingredients and mix well.
- Sprinkle with fresh coriander and enjoy as a side to my divine oven grilled chicken thighs.
Yes! My warm potato salad is made with freshly boiled potatoes and the addition of fresh herbs and spices. It is made creamy and delicious by adding mayonnaise.
Once any left over warm potato salad has cooled down to room temperature, it can be saved in the fridge for the next day and enjoyed cold.
Yes! I make my warm potato salad with mayonnaise. Allow the boiled potatoes to cool down a little (no longer steaming) before you add the mayonnaise, or else it will melt.