We love this curry quinoa salad in this house. In fact, as soon as mangoes start appearing in stores, the kids start to ask me to make this salad. We eat this salad as a meal instead of as a side to another meal. It’s a perfect meal on its own. You can replace the salad leaves with some arugula, or with field greens, or even kale. The options are limitless.
This is such a delicious salad and the curry dressing can be used for so many other things. I love salad dressing recipes like these that have multiple uses.
The Ingredients for Curry Quinoa Salad
Some cooked, some raw, but all ingredients together form an amazing curry quinoa salad.
Ingredients List for Curry Quinoa Salad:
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 2 large mangoes
- 2 shallots
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 red chili
- 2 green onions
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds
- fresh coriander leaves for garnish
For the curry dressing
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
More Salad Recipes you will Like:
The Curry Dressing
First off, let’s make the curry dressing. Making the dressing is so simple. It’s just a matter of combining all the ingredients and voila! We have a delicious creamy curry dressing.
Let’s start by finely chopping the garlic to an almost pasty form. If you don’t like raw garlic, skip the raw garlic and replace it with 1/2 teaspoon of garlic granules. Add the yogurt to a mixing bowl and whip it for about a minute. This is just to ensure that there are no lumps in the dressing. Now you can add all of the other ingredients to the bowl and mix together to form a delicious creamy curry dressing. I personally love the yellow color of the dressing.
Making The Salad
Now we can move on to the rest of the salad. The quinoa and chickpeas need to be cooled entirely before we can make the salad. I generally cook the quinoa and chickpeas in the morning and use them for dinner or at least 2-3 hours before I use them. You can cook them in advance and let them sit in the fridge overnight too. You can use canned chickpeas as well if you prefer.
Start with peeling and dicing the mangoes. I like to dice the mango into 1 cm pieces, that way, it gets mixed well into the salad. Finely chop the shallots and green onions as well. Now we can build the curry quinoa salad.
Add all the salad ingredients to a large mixing bowl – hold back the spinach and coriander leaves. Mix all the ingredients so that they are well combined. Now you can add the curry dressing to the bowl. Once again, mix everything well, so that the curry dressing covers everything in the bowl. When you add the curry dressing, your curry quinoa salad will take on a yellowish tinge. The color from curry powder will tinge everything yellowish.
Once everything is mixed, you can add the spinach to the bowl. Mix the spinach in, but do not over mix. You do not want the spinach leaves breaking and ripping apart.
Sprinkle the curry quinoa salad with fresh-cut coriander leaves and the toasted chopped almonds. Enjoy it as a meal all on its own. I like to add some crunchy onions or crunchy jalapeños on top too. They, along with the almonds add a great texture to the salad. Try it with my:
If you like the recipe please leave a comment below. Don’t forget to sign up for the free newsletter and be the first to learn about all my new recipes. And, don’t forget to follow me on my social media accounts Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter.
Curry Quinoa SaladCourse: SaladCuisine: Indo-CanadianDifficulty: Easy
This curry quinoa salad is to die for with savory and sweet flavors all in one. The savory from the curry dressing, the sweetness from the mango, and the freshness from the vegetables.
2 cups cooked quinoa – completely cooled
1 cup cooked chickpeas – completely cooled
2 large mangoes
1 red chili (optional)
2 green onions
1 cup baby spinach (or arugula, or kale)
1/2 cup toasted almonds
fresh coriander leaves for garnish
- Curry dressing
2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup greek yogurt (use a non-dairy yogurt for a vegan version)
3 tablespoons curry powder
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
- Curry dressing
- Finely chop the garlic. If you don’t like raw garlic, replace it with 1/2 teaspoon of garlic granules.
- In a mixing bowl, add the yogurt and whip it for about a minute, ensuring there are no lumps left.
- Add all other ingredients to the yogurt and mix to form a creamy curry dressing. The color will be a pleasant yellow from the curry powder.
- The Salad
- Peel and dice the mango into 1 cm pieces.
- Deseed and finely chop the chili. Thinly slice the green onions and the shallots.
- Add all of the salad ingredients, from the quinoa to the green onions into a large mixing bowl. Mix so that everything is well combined.
- Now you can add the curry dressing to the bowl and mix again so that the salad is coated very well with the dressing. The entire salad should have taken on a yellowish color.
- Add the spinach to the bowl and mix – try not to rip the leaves as you mix.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and chopped toasted almonds. Enjoy.