Kimchi is one of those things that I enjoy in so many recipes. These Delicious Kimchi Rolls are one of my favorite ways of enjoying kimchi. They certainly are a fun way of making bread that the whole family can enjoy. They are what I call fusion cuisine. A mix of Asian, Italian, and Canadian recipes.
The Ingredients for Delicious Kimchi Rolls
These are the simple ingredients I use for my rollups.
The Ingredients List for Delicious Kimchi Rolls:
- 1 cup water (110 degrees F) – plus a little more if needed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame seed oil
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- 2 cups kimchi
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 green onions
- 1 cup marble cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter (divided)
More Snacks that you will Like
The Dough for the Delicious Kimchi Rolls
In order to make these delicious kimchi rolls, we need to have a good sought. This is where the Italian comes in. I use the same basic recipe as I do for pizza dough. To make a good dough, we need to let it rise.
- Let’s start by adding 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoons of yeast to a bowl.
- To the bowl add 1 cup of warm water.
- Let the yeast rise for about 5 minutes or until it doubles in quantity. The yeast will get bubbly as it blooms.
- Meanwhile, sift three cups of all purpose flour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add to it 1 teaspoon of salt and 2 tablespoons of black sesame seeds.
- Mix them in well.
- Once the yeast has bloomed, add it to the flour. At the same time add 1 tablespoon of sesame seed oil to the bowl as well and mix to form a dough.
- Knead the dough on a clean counter space for about 2-3 minutes or until you get a smooth dough.
- Cover it with a clean damp cloth and let it rise for about 30 mins or until the dough has doubled in size.
While the dough is rising, let’s prep the kimchi and other ingredients:
- Finely chop 3 cloves of garlic and slice 3 green onions and set them aside.
- Grate 1 cup of marble cheddar cheese and place it in the fridge until ready to use.
Kimchi generally has a lot of liquid in it and you will need to drain it so that your rolls don’t get soggy. Using a sieve, drain all the liquid from two cups of kimchi and set it aside.
- Just draining the liquid isn’t enough. The kimchi is still quite mushy. WE need to “dry” it up a little but more.
- In a large pan, heat 2 tablespoons of butter and add your garlic to it.
- Once the garlic has been browned, add your drained kimchi to the pan along with the green onions.
- On high heat, cook for about 2-3 minutes. This is to ensure that if there is any liquid left over, it dries up completely.
- Allow it to cool COMPLETELY before you make your rolls.
How do we make Kimchi Rolls?
Now that our ingredients and dough are both ready, we can make our rolls:
- Sprinkle some flour onto a clean dry counter space, and knead your dough for a couple of minutes. This is to remove any air bubbles that might have formed and to smooth out the dough.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough so it is about 1/2 cm in thickness.
- Sprinkle the kimchi mix all over the dough spreading evenly.
- Add the grated cheese on top, again ensuring an even distribution.
- Roll the dough to form a log.
- Make sure no filling falls out of the edges. I generally leave a little space on the edges so that the filling has space to spread as we roll.
The Second Rise:
Once you have fille and rolled the dough, we need to let it rise a second time.
- Spread the leftover butter on a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Cut the rolled dough into 2 inch rolls and set them into the prepared baking dish.
- Cover with a clean damp cloth and let rise again for about 30 mins. Make sure you leave space between the rollups since they will grow in size.
The Baking Process
Finally, after the rolls have had a chance to rise, we can bake them.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Now place the baking dish onto the middle rack and bake the rolls for about 30-35 minutes. The rolls will brown and what’s more, the whole house will smell heavenly.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before enjoying.
How do I store my Delicious Kimchi Rolls?
Enjoy the kimchi rolls warm, or keep them in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. To warm up, you can always zap them in the microwave for about 30 seconds. You can certainly also reheat them in a toaster oven.
I love having these fresh out of the oven. I serve them with:
Tried and Liked the Recipe?
Scroll to the bottom of the page, and past the recipe to find the comment form. Please fill out details of what you liked and what you would like to see improved. Comments are loved! I look forward to hearing how much you enjoyed the recipe!
Don’t forget to sign up for the free newsletter and be the first to learn about all my new recipes. And, don’t forget to follow me on my social media accounts: Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, and Twitter.
Delicious Kimchi RollsCourse: Side, SnackCuisine: Asian, CanadianDifficulty: Easy
These kimchi rollups are not your usual kind of bun. They are buns filled with delicious, spicy kimchi, and cheese. Gooey inside and crunchy outside.
1 cup water (110 degrees F) – plus a little more if needed
1 1/2 teaspoons dry active yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sesame seed oil
2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- Other ingredients
2 cups kimchi
3 cloves garlic
3 green onions
1 cup marble cheese
4 tablespoons butter (divided)
- Making the dough
- Add the warm water, yeast, and sugar into a bowl and mix them together. Let the yeast bloom for 5 or so minutes – or until it foams and doubles in quantity.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, salt, and sesame seeds and mix properly. Add the bloomed yeast and sesame seed oil to the bowl and mix together to form a dough. Knead for about 3-4 minutes till you get a smooth dough. Cover with a damp cloth and let the flour rise for up to 30 mins (or till it doubles in volume).
- Other directions
- Grate your cheese and place it in the fridge till ready to use. Finely chop your garlic and the green onions and set them aside.
- While the dough is rising, drain the kimchi so that there is no liquid left in it.
- In a large pan, add half the butter and add the garlic. Cook for a couple of minutes so it is browned. Add the drained kimchi to the pan and cook it for about 2-3 minutes, just to ensure there is no more liquid left. Let it cool down completely.
- Once the dough has risen, sprinkle some flour on a clean counter space and knead your dough for a further 2 minutes or so. Roll the dough out into a 1/2 cm thickness sheet.
- Evenly spread the cooled kimchi over the dough. Sprinkle and evenly distribute the grated cheese over the kimchi and roll the dough into a log – ensuring that the filling stays inside.
- Cut the log into 12 pieces – about 2 inch rollups.
- Spread the remaining butter onto the bottom and sides of a 9×13 inch baking dish and place the rollups into it. Leave a little space between the rollups to allow for rising. Cover with a clean cloth and let rise for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and bake for about 30 mins – or until the rollups are browned.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before enjoying. You can enjoy the rollups warm, or keep them in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
ust a simple pizza dough and the addition of these ingredients will give you the best snack:
– 2 cups kimchi
– 3 cloves of garlic
– 3 green onions
– 1 cup marble cheese
– 4 tablespoons butter
It is good to consume it daily. It contains probiotics and beneficial bacteria, so good to eat daily in limited quantities. These delicious kimchi rolls are a good way of consuming kimchi.
The spice from the kimchi and the creaminess of the cheese is a great combo. My delicious kimchi rolls bring kimchi and marble cheddar cheese together to form a delicious snack.