Chrisy Butter chicken pasties… what’s not to love about them? Butter chicken is an all-time favourite. Add to that a crispy pastry. Who can resist that combination? I know I can’t. Just the thought of a creamy butter chicken covered in crisp flaky pastry makes my mouth water. And I’m sure once you try it, you will have a hard time saying no as well.
The Ingredients for Crispy Butter Chicken Pasties
Once you have butter chicken, all you need is 4 other ingredients to make these amazing treats.
The Ingredients List for crispy Butter Chicken Pasties:
- 4 cups butter chicken (recipe here)
- 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups unsalted cold butter
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 egg
Other Bread Recipes you will Like:
The Butter Chicken
We make butter chicken all the time and I often make enough to last at least 2 meals. So once we’ve enjoyed the butter chicken with rice or naan or roti, and I still have leftovers, I make butter chicken pasties out of them. That way the kids can take them to school and still enjoy the delicious curry the next day. It also means there’s no waste. I turn leftover curry into a different meal and everyone is happy.
My recipe for butter chicken can be found here. But if you can make your own version or even use store bought or ordered in curry. It will all taste delicious once it’s wrapped in the crispy crust and baked to perfection.
The Pastry Dough
Once you have the curry ready, we can make the pastry. It’s so easy to make this pastry.
- In a large bowl, measure out 4 1/2 cups of all purpose flour.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt to it.
- Mix well so that the salt is evenly distributed.
- Cut 1 1/4 cups unsalted cold butter into cubes and using a fork, or a pastry cutter, mix the butter into the flour. I try and cut the butter and put it back in the fridge to allow it to cool down completely.
- Once the butter is mixed in, add 1 cup of cold water and make a dough. I try and add a little water at a time instead of all in one go. Using the fork, I gently mix the flour to form a dough.
- The dough should be soft enough to roll out. Similar to when you are making pita or roti or any flatbread. DO NOT knead the dough.
Layering the Dough:
When the dough is ready, I like to fold it so that it forms layers.
- I roll it out into a rectangular sort of shape and
- fold it into three.
- Then turn and fold into three again to form layers.
- I roll it out again to a large rectangle and fold it again into three and turn and fold into three again to form the shape in the picture.
- Now we can cover it in plastic wrap and place it in the fridge. I let it sit in the fridge for about an hour to allow the butter to get really cold again.
- This helps with making the pastry flaky and thus crispy when we bake.
Filling the Butter Chicken Pasties:
Remove the dough from the fridge and cut it out into eight circular shapes about 5 inches in diameter.
- Scoop about a ladle full or about 1/2 cup of the butter chicken curry and place it onto one half of the dough.
- Leave about 1 cm or a little more on the sides of that half so we can fold the pastry. We are trying to make a half moon shape and the edges need to be crimped or folded like dumplings. This prevents the curry from leaking.
The easiest thing to do is take a fork and push down on the pastry to crimp the sides together. You can always get fancy and fold it like you would a dumpling, but it’s harder when there’s curry in the pastry. So, I just use a fork to keep the pastry closed. Repeat until you have all 8 pasties ready.
Baking the Butter Chicken Pasties
Now that we have all our pasties ready to go, we are ready to bake them and enjoy them:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Whip 1 egg so it’s well beaten.
- Using a cooking brush, cover the top of each pasty with the egg wash.
- Place all 8 of the pasties on parchment lined baking trays.
- Bake them for about 30 mins or so. You will be able to smell the pastry baking all over the house.
How do I serve my Butter Chicken Pasties:
Once the pasties have browned and crisped, they are ready to be enjoyed.
- Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool down for about 4-5 minutes on a cookie rack
- Serve them hot with a cold beer or pop.
- I personally enjoy having them with my homemade cup of chai.
Tried and Liked the Recipe?
Scroll to the bottom of the page, and past the recipe to find the comment form. Please fill out details of what you liked and what you would like to see improved. Comments are loved! I look forward to hearing how much you enjoyed the recipe!
Don’t forget to sign up for the free newsletter and be the first to learn about all my new recipes. And, don’t forget to follow me on my social media accounts: Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, and Twitter.
Crispy Butter Chicken PastiesCourse: MainCuisine: Indo-CanadianDifficulty: Easy
These butter chicken pasties are a perfect meal. A creamy butter chicken filled hand pie covered in buttery pastry that’s baked to perfection.
4 cups butter chicken (recipe here)
4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 cups unsalted cold butter
1 cup cold water
1 teaspoon of salt
- Make the butter chicken and allow it to cool down completely – recipe here. (Or use store bought.)
- In a large bowl, add the flour and salt. Mix well to combine.
- Cut the butter into cubes and let sit in the fridge until ready to use. Add it to the flour and using a fork or pastry cutter, mix it into the flour.
- Add the really cold water and mix it into the flour to make a dough. Do not knead the dough.
- Roll out the dough into a 1/2 inch thick flat circular or rectangular shape.
- Fold the dough into three and then turn and fold into three again to form a sort of square. This will help the layers to form.
- Roll the dough out again and fold it into three and turn and fold into three again. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for about an hour.
- Remove from the fridge and roll the dough into 1/2 cm rectangular or circular shape again. Using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife, cut it into 8 circular shapes – about 5 inches in diameter each.
- Scoop about a ladle full (or 1/2 cup) of the cold butter chicken onto one half of the dough – leaving about 1 cm on the edge to allow for folding.
- Fold the non filled side of the dough onto the filled side and using a fork, crimp the edges to prevent the butter chicken from leaking out.
- Beat the egg well and using a cooking brush, cover the top of the pasty with the egg.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line two baking trays with parchment paper. Place the egg brushed pasty onto the baking tray.
- Repeat steps 9, 10, and 11 till you have 8 pasties ready to be baked.
- Bake them for about 30 minutes or so – until they are browned and the pastry is crisp.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool down on a cookie rack for about 4-5 minutes.
- Serve hot and enjoy with a cold beer or pop.