Butter chicken and ricotta tart for dinner anyone? Who says ricotta and butter chicken can’t be put in the same sentence? I made butter chicken the other day and had leftovers that no one wanted, so I figured I’d turn it into a second meal without having anyone complain that I gave them the same meal twice. Looking through the fridge I found some ricotta lying around. I generally have some puff pastry lying about in the freezer as well, so I turned the leftovers into a butter chicken and ricotta tart. Now, each time I make butter chicken, the family wants tart the next day.
Make butter chicken as per my recipe or any other recipe you have. You can even use store bought butter chicken for this. Ordered some Indian food last night and have leftovers? Why not use butter chicken for this recipe? Company coming over tonight? Why not impress them with this delicious easy to make recipe? Make it ahead and still enjoy being a great hostess and spending time with your guests.
The Ingredients List:
- 2 cups butter chicken (chicken chunks and very little gravy only)
- 1 package butter puff pastry
- 1 475g package of ricotta
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 1 green onion sliced
- 1/4 cup roasted red banana peppers (or for less heat, roasted red peppers)
More Paneer Recipes you will Like:
Assembling the Tart
Puff pastry is so easy to use. As the name suggests, it puffs up when baked and is so crispy and flaky. To use frozen store bought butter puff pastry, thaw it as per the package instructions. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and get ready to enjoy the creamy spicy butter chicken and ricotta tart!
Line a 9 x 13 inch baking sheet or dish with parchment paper. Parchment paper acts as a barrier between the pastry and the baking sheet and prevents the pastry from getting soggy. You want to enjoy a crisp pastry. Lay the thawed out puff pastry on the parchment lined tray. Spread all of the ricotta from the package evenly on the pastry, making sure that it goes all the way to the ends. Leave about an inch on either side (or all sides if you prefer), so you can crimp the sides and make it pretty.
Once your ricotta is on the pastry, evenly spread the chicken chunks on the pastry. Try to use only chicken chunks and avoid the gravy. The gravy will make the tart soggy. This dish is all about the crispness of the pasty!
Sprinkle the sliced red onion, sliced green onion, and red banana peppers on the tart. If you don’t like too much heat, use finely sliced roasted red peppers instead. If you like it spicy, use fresh or even pickled jalapeños instead.
Baking and the Butter Chicken and Ricotta Tart
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Place the baking tray on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 45 mins. You want the pastry to be puffed and browned by the time the baking is done. Be careful not to burn the pasty. Once it bakes, it tends to burn quickly if not removed from the oven.
Sprinkle with fresh coriander and green onions. Serve with a side of my crunchy vegetable salad or any other salad of choice. Enjoy warm.
If you like the recipe please leave a comment below. Don’t forget to sign up for the free newsletter and be the first to learn about all my new recipes. And, don’t forget to follow me on my social media accounts Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter.
Butter Chicken and Ricotta TartCourse: EntreeCuisine: Indian and Mediterranean mixDifficulty: Easy
Tart for dinner anyone? This amazing creamy, spicy butter chicken and ricotta tart will have you coming back for seconds.
2 cups butter chicken (chicken chunks and very little gravy only)
1 package butter puff pastry
1 475g package of ricotta
1/2 red onion sliced
1 green onion sliced
1/4 cup roasted red banana peppers (or for less heat, roasted red peppers)
- Thaw the butter puff pastry as per the package directions.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Slice the red and green onion.
- Peel and finely slice the roasted red pepper. Or if using banana peppers, drain liquid and set aside.
- Line a 9×13 in a baking tray or dish with parchment paper.
- Lay the thawed puff pastry on the lined baking tray.
- Evenly spread the ricotta on the pastry.
- Spread the chunks of butter chicken evenly on the pastry.
- Sprinkle the red onion, green onion, and red banana peppers evenly on the pastry.
- Bake for 45 mins or until the pastry is browned.
- Remove from heat, and sprinkle with fresh coriander and green onion.
- Serve hot with a side of fresh salad.
- – Try using paneer instead of chicken. Same recipe, but it then can be made into a vegetarian version.