These gluten free energy cookies have some of the heartiest ingredients I know and love. Once you try them, you will be amazed at how easy they are to make and how truly delicious a snack they are. They are a perfect gluten free and vegan recipe.
One Sunday afternoon we went for a family walk and as always the kids started to get hungry. So, we decided to drop into a local health food store. I found these gluten free and vegan cookies and everyone really liked them. So, knowing me, I had to try and make them at home. I altered them to my liking and the family always gets super excited whenever I make this vegan and gluten free healthy snack.
The Ingredients for Energy Cookies
A handful of ingredients. A mouthful of flavour. A body full of energy.
The Ingredients List for Energy Cookies
- whole raw almonds
- organic brown rice flour
- vegetable oil
- maple syrup
- baking soda
- mixed black and white sesame seeds
- unsweetened apple sauce
More Snack recipes you will Like:
The Cookie Dough
To make the dough, the first step is to turn the almonds into flour. Using a food processor, blend 1 cup of raw almonds into flour that’s got a sand like consistency. Be careful when you blend. You don’t want to turn the almonds into complete powder. You should still be able to see the almonds.
Once you have processed the almonds, add 1/2 a cup of organic brown rice flour, 1/4 a cup of vegetable oil, 1/2 a cup of maple syrup, and 1/2 a teaspoon of baking soda into the processor. Using the pulse button, mix all the ingredients together. This will form a cookie dough kind of mixture for this healthy snack.
Adding the Sesame Seeds
Move the cookie dough into a large mixing bowl and add to it 1/2 a cup of black and white mixed sesame seeds. I like the mix of black and white sesame seeds because they give a really good look to the cookie. And of course, they make this energy cookie into a really tasty, delicious, and healthy snack and dessert. You can use mixed or one kind of sesame seeds. Using a spatula, mix the sesame seeds into the cookie dough so they are evenly distributed.
The Baking Process for Energy Cookies:
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F and line two 9×13 inch baking trays with parchment paper. Or using a paper towel, spread a tablespoon of vegetable oil on the baking trays.
Divide the cookie dough into 8 equal bits. Roll each bit into a ball and flatten it to form a cookie. Each of the cookies should be about 3-inch diameter wide. Place the cookies onto the cookie tray. Make sure you leave space between the cookies because they will expand a little bit.
Using a spoon, spread about 1/2 a tablespoon of unsweetened apple sauce in the middle of your gluten-free energy cookie. This part is optional. If you don’t like applesauce, you can skip this. I like the slight tartness of the unsweetened apple sauce. It contrasts with the sweetness of the maple syrup.
Bake the cookies for about 30 minutes or until the cookies are browned. Keep an eye on the cookies. If you notice them baking unevenly, turn the cookie trays around so that they bake evenly.
Once they have baked, remove them from the oven and let them cool on the cookie tray for about 2 minutes. Then transfer them to a cookie rack to cool completely.
Enjoy this gluten free and vegan recipe with a nice cup of tea or coffee. The cookies can be stored in an air-tight container for up to one week.
Since everyone loves these cookies in our house, I tend to make a double batch and enjoy them for a week.
If you like the recipe please leave a comment below. Don’t forget to sign up for the free newsletter and be the first to learn about all my new recipes. And, don’t forget to follow me on my social media accounts Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter.
Gluten-Free Energy CookiesCourse: SnackCuisine: CanadianDifficulty: Easy
Who says you can’t have cookies for breakfast? These gluten-free energy cookies are a wholesome, energizing snack completely free of refined sugar, and are full of energy-boosting superfoods!
1 cup whole raw almonds
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup mixed sesame seeds
4 tablespoons unsweetened apple sauce (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Place your whole raw almonds into a food processor and blend to get a rough flour. You should still be able to see pieces of almond.
- Add the brown rice flour, vegetable oil, maple syrup, and baking soda to the food processor, and using the pulse button mix all the ingredients together to form a cookie like mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a mixing bowl and add the sesame seeds. Using a spatula, mix in the sesame seeds.
- Line two baking trays with parchment paper.
- Divide the cookie dough into 8 equal bits and roll them into balls. Flatten the balls to form cookies – each cookie should be about 3 inches in diameter.
- Place the cookies on the parchment-lined baking tray. Keep enough space between each cookie. They will expand.
- Using a spoon, spread about a 1/2 tablespoon of apple sauce in the middle of the cookie.
- Bake the cookies for about 30 mins or until they are browned.
- Once baked, remove from the oven and cool on the baking trays for about 2 mins before moving them to a cookie rack to cool completely.
- Store in an air tight container for up to one week.
What are the main ingredients for these cookies?
– whole raw almonds
– organic brown rice flour
– vegetable oil
– maple syrup
– baking soda
– mixed black and white sesame seeds