We love waffles and I’ve made breakfast waffles with oats, bananas, nuts, and a lot more, but Sunday brunch savoury waffles are so much more. You can put so many different types of vegetables and meats into them. Try them with prosciutto, ham, bacon, and chicken, to name a few. They are a perfect brunch idea.
The Ingredients for Sunday Brunch Savoury Waffles
These savoury waffles are a vegetarian and gluten free variety and have red onions, garlic, mushrooms, spinach, corn, and red pepper.
Ingredients List for Sunday Brunch Savoury Waffles:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 green chili (optional)
- 2 button or crimini mushrooms (optional)
- 1 cup baby or regular spinach
- 1/2 sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika or red chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups gluten free flour (I make my own with 1 1/4 cup brown rice flour, 1/2 cup buckwheat flour, and 1/4 cup tapioca flour)
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika (or red chili powder for a spicier version)
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
The Creamy Avocado Sauce:
- 1/2 avocado in chunks
- 1/4 cup fresh greek yogurt
- 1 green onion
- 1 garlic clove
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh mint or coriander or parsley (optional)
Other Breakfast Ideas you will Like:
I have tried to chop everything and just put that into the batter, but I found cooking the onion and mushrooms and slightly sweating the spinach makes the crepes more delicious.
- Chop 1/2 a red onion.
- Mince 1 garlic clove.
- Finely chop one green chili.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of oil into the pan and put the onion, garlic, and green chili into a pan over medium heat.
- Cook them for about 2 mins so that they soften.
- Once the onions have softened, chop and put the mushrooms into the pan. Mushrooms tend to soften and ooze their liquid if overcooked, so toss them in the pan for about 1/2 min.
- Throw in the chopped spinach and toss for about 1 min.
- Finely chop the red pepper and add that and the corn into the pan and turn the heat off and take the pan off the heat. All of these vegetables tend to let go of their water if left on the heat too long. Do not add salt to the vegetables either. This too will make the vegetables lose water.
While the cooked vegetables are cooling, you can make a dipping sauce to go with the savoury waffles. I like to make avocado and greek yogurt sauce.
In a food processor, place 1/2 avocado chopped into large chunks. You can use frozen or fresh avocado. In goes 1/2 cup of fresh greek yogurt, one clove of garlic, 1 green onion, juice of 1/2 lime, 1/4 cup of fresh mint, and 2 tablespoons of good quality olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste. Blend everything to a smooth consistency. I like it thick so you can spoon it instead of pouring it on. I like to use this as a dip with chips too. But if you prefer it slightly more liquid, you can add water to it to get the consistency you like.
The Gluten Free Batter
Waffle batter is very similar to pancake or crepe batter. In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 cups of gluten free flour, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and 1 teaspoon paprika (or red chili for a spicier version).
In a separate bowl or measuring cup, whip 3 eggs and add 1 1/2 cups of milk to it. Add 1/4 cup vegetable oil to the egg and milk mix.
Mix the wet and dry ingredients together to form a batter. It will be runnier than pancake batter and slightly thicker than crepe batter.
Now that the vegetables have had time to cool, you can mix them into the batter. Mix them well so that every bite of the waffle you eat will have some vegetables in it.
And finally, you are ready to make the savoury waffles. Heat your waffle maker as per the directions and cook the waffles till they are crisp.
Enjoy your Sunday brunch with a side of dipping sauce. I make a second dipping sauce. This one is slightly sweet and goes well with the saltiness of the waffles. Take some sweet chili sauce and mix it with some greek yogurt or sour cream and that’s it. The sweet chili sauce is delicious on its own, but the yogurt or sour cream adds a creaminess to it.
Enjoy right off the waffle maker or make ahead and toast when ready to enjoy.
If you like the recipe please leave a comment below. Don’t forget to sign up for the free newsletter and be the first to learn about all my new recipes. And, don’t forget to follow me on my social media accounts Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter.
The Best in Town Sunday Brunch Savoury WafflesCourse: BreakfastCuisine: CanadianDifficulty: Easy
My gluten free Sunday brunch savoury waffles are light and fluffy, crisp on the outside, soft on the inside, and loaded with fresh vegetables.
- Vegetable mix
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 red onion
1 garlic clove
1 green chili (optional)
2 button or crimini mushrooms (optional)
1 cup baby or regular spinach
1/2 sweet red pepper
1/4 cup frozen corn
1/2 teaspoon paprika or red chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups gluten free flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 avocado in chunks
1/4 cup fresh greek yogurt
1 green onion
1 garlic clove
juice of 1/2 lime
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup fresh mint or coriander
- Vegetable mix
- Chop the red onion finely.
- Mince the garlic clove.
- Chop the green chili finely (optional).
- Wash and finely chop mushrooms, spinach, and red pepper.
- In a pan heat the oil over medium heat and put in the onion, garlic, and green chili. Cook for 1-2 mins.
- Toss in the mushrooms and cook for a further 1/2 min.
- Now you can add the spinach, corn, and peppers – one at a time and quickly toss them together.
- Turn the heat off and get the pan off the heat. Do not overcook or else the vegetables will ooze liquid and will the batter runny. Let them cool completely.
- The Sauce
- Chop the avocado into chunks and put them into a blender or food processor.
- Add the greek yogurt, green onion, garlic, lime juice, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste
- Blend everything to make a thick dip like sauce.
- If using fresh herbs, toss them in now and blend again.
- Batter and waffles
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl or measuring cup, whip the eggs and add the milk and oil to it.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients to form a batter.
- Now add the cooled vegetable mix to the batter and combine well.
- Now you are ready to make and enjoy the savoury waffles. Heat the waffle iron as per the directions and cook the waffles one at a time.
- -Do not put salt into the vegetables or the vegetables will ooze water. The salt will be put into the batter.
-For the sauce, you can replace the greek yogurt with sour cream.