Summer and peaches go hand in hand and my peach breakfast toast with ricotta is the perfect way to start a day. I love ricotta and I love peaches. Why not combine the two and make it into a meal? Often when I ask my kids what they want for breakfast, they will say ricotta toast, so I try and make as many varieties as I can. This is always a super hit in our house, especially for a Sunday brunch.
Ingredients for Peach and Ricotta Breakfast Toast
What do you get when you use five simple ingredients and some bread? The best breakfast toast you will find in town!
The Ingredients List:
- 4 ripe peaches (I use local Ontario grown)
- 2 tablespoons local maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- pinch of salt
- 475 grams ricotta (1 tub)
- 4 pieces of multigrain rye bread (or bread of choice)
More Breakfast Ideas you will Like
The Peaches for the Peach and Ricotta Breakfast Toast
I love to use fresh peaches that are just ripe enough to eat. They tend to get juicier as they get riper, so I like to use them when they are a little firm for this recipe. Although if they are a little ripe, that’s fine too. The cooked peaches will get a little runnier. Let’s get started.
- Wash and pat dry 4 ripe peaches.
- Using a sharp knife, slice them into 1/4 inch slices.
- Place them into a small saucepan.
Cooking the Peaches
I love adding brown sugar to the peaches. I find it enhances the flavour of the peaches much more than white sugar does. The warm flavour of brown sugar does that. I also love adding cinnamon to the peaches. The flavour combination is just perfect!
- To the pan, add the :
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- and a pinch of salt.
- place the saucepan on the stove on low heat.
The Cooked Peaches
- Cover the pan for about 5 minutes and allow the peaches to cook and release their juices.
- I find covering the pot helps reduce heat waste and helps the peaches cook faster.
- Once the juices are released, allow the peaches to cook for a further 2 minutes. By now the peaches will be soft and delicious.
- I like a thick version for my toast, so I add a cornstarch slurry to the pot. But if you prefer them a little on the juicy side, you can leave them as is.
- To make the cornstarch slurry, add 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of cold water to a bowl and mix them together.
- Add the slurry to the hot peaches and mix well to thicken.
How do I serve my Peach and Ricotta Breakfast Toast?
We are now ready to assemble the toast. This is my favourite part.
- I like to use a large slice of multigrain sourdough bread, but you can use any bread of your choice.
- Toast the piece of bread.
- Once it’s a slight bit cooled down, evenly spread one quarter of the ricotta onto it.
- Enjoy it with a hot cup of coffee or my homemade chai.
Now for the best part – the peaches!
- Gently lift the peach slices from the pot and place them in a single layer on the toast. I love adding some of the extra juices from the peaches on top of the peaches.
- Sprinkle some extra cinnamon onto the peaches. And you can also add some maple syrup if you like it, extra sweet.
How can I Vary my Peach and Ricotta Breakfast Toast?
There are various things one can do to customize this brunch recipe:
- Ricotta is a perfect cheese to spread onto toast, but from time to time I use mascarpone cheese. The creaminess of that is such a great combination with the peaches.
- I love brown sugar, but I sometimes add coconut sugar to the peaches as they cook. It gives them an earthy tropical flavour that is so good with peaches.
- Although cinnamon is my favourite spice to add to this recipe, I sometimes replace it with allspice or even a sprinkling of fresh ground cardamom.
Tried and Liked the Recipe?
Scroll to the bottom of the page, and past the recipe to find the comment form. Please fill out details of what you liked and what you would like to see improved. Comments are loved! I look forward to hearing how much you enjoyed the recipe!
Don’t forget to sign up for the free newsletter and be the first to learn about all my new recipes. And, don’t forget to follow me on my social media accounts: Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, and Twitter.
Peach and Ricotta Breakfast ToastCourse: Breakfast, BrunchCuisine: CanadianDifficulty: Easy
My peach breakfast toast is just what is needed for breakfast on a summer day! It’s sweet, tangy, creamy, filling, and outright delicious.
4 ripe peaches (I use local Ontario grown)
2 tablespoons local maple syrup
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
pinch of salt
475 grams ricotta (1 tub)
4 pieces of multigrain rye bread
- Wash and pat dry the peaches.
- Using a sharp knife, slice them into 1/4 inch slices and place them into a small sauce pot.
- Add the maple syrup, brown sugar, cinnamon, and pinch of salt to the peaches and place the pot on the stove on low heat.
- Allow them to cook covered for about 5 minutes or so so they soften and release the juices. If needed, add a cornstarch slurry to thicken the juice.
(For the slurry – Add one tablespoon of cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water into a bowl. Mix well and add to the peaches.)
- To assemble, toast the piece of bread, and once cooled down a slight bit, layer a quarter of the ricotta onto each slice of bread.
- Spread a quarter of the peaches on top of the ricotta and sprinkle some more cinnamon if needed.
- Enjoy with a cup of coffee.