I am always looking for ways to make my life easier and these naturally sweetened oat and nut bars are one of the ways in which I do that. I make them and keep them in the fridge for whenever someone is hungry. My kids love having them for breakfast when there is nothing else handy. They are a healthy, nutrient rich way to start your day.
The Ingredients for Oat and Nut Bars
Some oats, some nuts, and a few other ingredients put together will give you the best breakfast bars you will ever have.
The Ingredients List:
- 2 cups mixed nuts of choice
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- pinch of salt
Other Snack ideas you will Like
Blending the Naturally Sweetened Breakfast Bars
Let’s start with getting the nuts and oats ready to make the snack bars. I like to crush the nuts for my bars.
- Start by adding 1 cup of almonds to a food processor and processing them so they are chopped, but not totally crushed. I like to have a little bit of a crunch with each bite, so I prefer to not crush them totally.
- Once the almonds are chopped, add 1 cup of pecans and 2 cups of rolled oats to the processor and buzz it a couple of times to just get the pecans and oats broken down a little bit and mixed into the almonds. Pecans are much softer and don’t take much to break down.
- The consistency should be similar to the picture below.
Making the Energy Bars
Once the oat and nuts are ready, we can add the rest of the ingredients. I always keep ground flax seeds in the freezer, but if you don’t have that, whole flax seeds will do too.
- Let’s add more ingredients:
- Add 3 tablespoons of flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds
- and 2 tablespoons of desiccated coconut
- to the processor and pulse to combine.
- Once combined, add 1/2 cup maple syrup
- and 4 tablespoons of good quality olive oil and pulse again so that the ingredients come together into a dough like consistency.
How do I set my Naturally Sweetened Oat and Nut Bars?
Now that we are ready to set the bars, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place parchment paper onto a baking tray or into a 8×8 inch baking dish.
- Evenly spread the mixture onto the parchment paper and place it into the oven.
- Bake the bars for about 10 minutes or until you see them start to dry out a little from the sides.
Once baked, remove the tray from the oven and allow it to cool for about 5 minutes or so. While it is still warm, slice it into 8 equal bars then allow it to cool down completely.
Variations for Naturally Sweetened Oat and Nut Bars:
- Want to make it nut free? Replace the almonds with pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds.
- Replace the maple syrup with melted honey.
- Replace the olive oil with coconut oil for a more tropical flavour.
How do I store my Oat and Nut Bars?
I like to make larger batches and keep them in the fridge for a week or so. You can:
- ON THE COUNTER: Place the bars in an air tight container and keep them on the counter for up to 3 days.
- IN THE FRIDGE: Wrap each bar in plastic wrap and place them in an air tight container and place them in the fridge for up to one week.
How can I freeze my Oat and Nut Bars?
I love to make a double or even triple batch each time I make these. I find it easy to make them once and store them in the freezer for later use. They can last up to 3 months in the freezer.
- Wrap each snack bar in plastic wrap and place them in an air tight container. Place them in criss-cross layers so that they don’t get stuck together.
- When ready to eat, defrost in the fridge overnight. If needed, place them in the microwave for about 30 seconds to freshen them up and enjoy.
Tried and Liked the Recipe?
Scroll to the bottom of the page, and past the recipe to find the comment form. Please fill out details of what you liked and what you would like to see improved. Comments are loved! I look forward to hearing how much you enjoyed the recipe!
Don’t forget to sign up for the free newsletter and be the first to learn about all my new recipes. And, don’t forget to follow me on my social media accounts: Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, and Twitter.
Naturally Sweetened Oat & Nut BarsCourse: BreakfastCuisine: CanadianDifficulty: Easy
My naturally sweetened oat and nut bars are so easy to make and are an absolute treat for adults and kids alike. And they are freezer friendly too.
2 cups rolled oats
2 cups mixed nuts of choice
3 tablespoons flax seeds
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
2 tablespoons unsweetened desiccated coconut
1/2 cup maple syrup
4 tablespoons olive oil
pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using a food processor blend the oats and nuts into rough sand like mixture.
- Add the seeds, and coconut flakes into the processor and pulse to combine.
- Add syrup and oil and blend together to form a dough like mixture.
- Line a 8 x 8 inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- Spread the mixture into the baking dish and pat it so it’s even all over.
- Sprinkle a few grains of flaky salt on top.
- Bake for 10 mins.
- Allow the baked mixture to cool down for a few minutes and then cut it into 8 bars.
- Store in an air tight container for up to 4 days.