During the summer and fall months, we love to go hiking. We always bring these sweet and spicy nuts during these hikes. We also love to go camping and we always bring these nuts with us. To make it more interesting, you can always add more things to the mix. This recipe is so versatile and that’s what I love about it. These nuts make for a good hostess gift.
Ingredients for my Sweet and Spicy Nuts
Simple ingredients that make my sweet and spicy nuts addictive.
The Ingredients List:
- 1 cup cashew nuts
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup pecans
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
More Snack Recipes you will Like:
Mixing the Nuts and Spices
In a large bowl, add all of the nuts and toss well to combine. I use a combination of almonds, cashew nuts, and pecans, but you can make a big bowl of the same nut. Or a variation of nuts based on your liking. I have made just one variety and the family has loved them. I have added pumpkin seeds and those taste amazing. in them too.
Melt your butter in a small bowl in the microwave and mix that with the oil. Add the butter and oil mix to the nuts and toss to combine again.
In another small bowl, mix the chili powder, the ground black pepper, the onion powder, and the salt. Sprinkle the spice mixture onto the nuts and toss so the spices coat the nuts. At this stage, I generally use my hands to make sure that all the nuts are well coated and the spices have kind of disappeared.
Baking the Sweet and Spicy Nuts
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Spread the nuts on the parchment-lined baking tray. You might need two trays if you don’t have one large enough to fit all the nuts. The idea is to ensure that the nuts are not crowded. Only one layer of nuts on the tray.
Bake the nuts for about 20 mins. The smell is intoxicating as the nuts bake. Keep an eye on the nuts. You want to remove them from the oven as soon as you see them brown. The nuts will continue to brown a slight bit more even after they are removed from the oven, so it’s important to remove them from the oven as soon as you think they are starting to brown.
Allow the nuts to completely cool on the baking tray. Once cooled, store them in an air-tight container. They can last up to 2 weeks if kept sealed well. After each time you serve them, make sure the container is sealed properly and they will not go stale.
I love these and serve them with so many things. Try them with:
- the next salad that you make, add these as a topper and see them become an instant hit.
- try them with my healthy and crunchy salad.
- try them on my curry quinoa salad.
If you like the recipe please leave a comment below. Don’t forget to sign up for the free newsletter and be the first to learn about all my new recipes. And, don’t forget to follow me on my social media accounts Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter.
Crunchy Sweet and Spicy NutsCourse: SnackCuisine: Indo-CanadianDifficulty: Easy
My sweet and spicy nuts made with natural maple syrup and a hint of heat, are a crunchy snack that is incredibly addictive. They are a perfect snack for hikes, picnics, or any gathering.
1 cup cashew nuts
1 cup almonds
1 cup pecans
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon red chili powder
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all of the nuts and toss well to combine.
- Melt your butter in a small bowl in the microwave and mix that with the oil. Add the butter and oil mix to the nuts and toss to combine again.
- In another small bowl, mix the chili powder, ground black pepper, onion powder, and salt. Sprinkle the spice mixture onto the nuts and toss so the spices coat the nuts.
- Line two 9×13 inch baking trays with parchment paper. Spread the nuts evenly on the trays – in a single layer only.
- Bake the nuts for about 20 mins. Remove them from the oven as soon as you see them brown.
- Allow the nuts to completely cool on the baking tray. Once cooled, store them in an air tight container.