One day I was craving chai and I wanted some cookies with it, so I decided to make these real chai infused cookies. I was instantly in love. I could enjoy the delicious take of both chai and cookies in one. What else could a chai-loving cooking eater ask for?
Ingredients for Real Chai Infused Cookies
All the delicious flavours of chai, but in a cookie.
The Ingredients List for the Spiced Cookies
To make my delicious real chai infused cookies, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup real black chai (recipe here)
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 tablespoon cardamon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
More Snack Recipes you will Like:
Making the Chai for the Masala Cookies
The first step to making these cookies is to make my real chai. You can find my recipe for real chai here. I use the black chai from my recipe. So, try using that in your recipe too. Milk or cream will dilute the taste of chai in the chai cookies.
The Cookie Recipe Batter
In a large mixing bowl, whip the room temperature butter and sugar till they are smooth and creamy. I use a hand mixer, but you can use a whisk. You will need to beat the butter and sugar mixture for about 4-5 minutes.
Add the whole egg to the bowl and mix well. Now add the 1/4 cup of black real chai to the bowl and continue to mix till you have a brownish-looking liquid mix. Do not worry if the mix looks rather liquid. We will add enough dry ingredients to make it more like cookie dough.
In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom, allspice, cloves, ginger, black pepper, and salt. Add this to the wet ingredients and mix everything to make a dough. The dough will be soft at this point.
Refrigerating the Real Chai Infused Cookies
Divide the dough into two equal halves. Prepare two pieces of plastic wrap large enough to fit half the dough. Using a spatula or spoon, place half the chai cookie dough mix onto the plastic wrap. Using the plastic wrap, form a log and wrap it properly in the same plastic wrap. Roll the sides of the plastic and tuck them under the roll. Repeat with the second half of the chai cookie dough and place both the rolls into the fridge for about 1/2 an hour.
Placing the rolls in the fridge will allow the butter to harden up again. This has a double purpose. One, it will allow you to cut the cookies easily. Two, the cold butter going into the oven will ensure that the cookies come out crisp.
Baking the Real Chai Infused Cookies
Remove the dough from the fridge. Dust some flour on a clean counter space, remove the log from the plastic wrap, and place it on the counter. Using a sharp knife, cut the chai cookie dough log into cookies. Cut them about 1/2 a centimeter thick. Line two 9×13 inch baking trays with parchment paper and place the cookies on the trays. Remember to leave space between the cookies, because they will expand as they bake. You might need to bake them in two batches.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Place the baking trays into the middle rack of the oven and bake them for about 30 mins. Keep an eye on the cookies. As soon as they start to brown a little bit from the sides, they are done. You do not want to overcook the chai infused cookies or else they will not be as tasty.
Remove the chai infused cookies from the oven and let them cool on the baking tray for a minute or so. Then move them onto a cookie rack to cool completely. Enjoy the chai infused cookies with a hot chai or warm coffee. I like to pipe a little semi-sweet milk or dark chocolate on them.
If you like the recipe please leave a comment below. Don’t forget to sign up for the free newsletter and be the first to learn about all my new recipes. And, don’t forget to follow me on my social media accounts Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter.
Real Chai Infused CookiesCourse: SnackCuisine: Indo-CanadianDifficulty: Easy
These crunchy real chai infused cookies are full of flavour. Not only are they made with spices, but are also infused with real homemade chai.
1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup real black chai (recipe here)
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1 tablespoon cardamon powder
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar till they are smooth – for about 4-5 mins. You can use a hand mixer or a whisk.
- Add the egg and continue beating for another 1 min.
- Add the real chai (recipe here) to the bowl and mix well. Do not add milk to the chai. It is important to use black chai.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom, allspice, cloves, ginger, black pepper, and salt. Add this to the wet ingredients and mix everything well to make a dough.
- The dough will be quite soft. Using a spatula, place half the dough onto a piece of plastic wrap and, form a log.
- Place the second half of the dough into a second piece of plastic wrap and form a second log.
- Place both logs into the fridge for about an hour to allow the butter to harden again.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Remove the dough from the fridge. Dust some flour on a clean counter space Remove the log from the plastic wrap and place it on the counter. Using a sharp knife, cut the log into 1/2 cm cookie thick pieces.
- Line two baking trays with parchment paper and place the cookies on the trays. Leave enough space between the cookies, because the cookies will expand as they bake.
- Bake the cookies for about 30 mins or until the sides just start to brown.
- Remove the cookies from the oven, rest on the cookie tray for a minute or so, and then move them to a cookie rack to cool completely.
- Once completely cooled, store them in an air tight container for up to a week.