Gluten free creamy Mushroom soup is one of our most favoured vegetarian soups. My daughter loves her mushrooms. When she was little, we went to visit my brother in London and he and his wife were cooking dinner for us. My daughter who was then 2 wanted to help them by cutting the mushrooms. She would cut the mushrooms and put one slice of mushrooms in the bowl and one in her mouth. She has always loved mushrooms in every form. So, whenever I say I’m making mushroom soup, she can hardly wait.
Ingredients for Gluten Free Creamy Mushroom Soup
This mushroom soup is so simple and has very few ingredients, but is so full of flavour.
Ingredients List for Gluten Free Creamy Mushroom Soup:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large leek (light green and white parts only)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 cups of sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dehydrated parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 3 cups of water
- 1 cup heavy cream
More Gluten Free Recipes you will Like:
Let’s get the leeks ready:
- Slice 1 large leek – only use the light green and whites of the leek. The dark greens are tough and chewy, so discard those.
- Peel and finely slice 3 garlic cloves. Slice 3 cups worth of crimini mushrooms.
- I find crimini mushrooms taste so much better in soup.
- In a large saucepan heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Put all the leeks and garlic into the pan and cook for about 5 mins or till the garlic is browned and the leeks are soft.
- As the leeks cook and soften they start to fall apart a little and that’s ok.
Once the leeks are done, we can work on the mushrooms:
- Add all the mushrooms to the pan and stir well.
- Continue to cook for about 5 or so. You want the mushrooms to be soft and start to get a little brown. This helps bring out the flavour of the mushrooms and make the soup nutty.
- To the pan, you can now add the flavours.
- Add 1 teaspoon of black powder, 1 teaspoon of dehydrated parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme powder. Add salt to taste as well.
- Once the mushrooms have cooked remove about a 1/4 cup of mushrooms and set them aside. You will use these for topping the mushroom soup once it’s ready to be served.
Thickening the Gluten Free Mushroom Soup
In order to thicken the soup, we generally add flour to the soup. I make mine gluten free, so I add rice flour to it instead of regular flour.
- Add 1/4 cup of rice flour to the pan and mix so that all of the mushrooms are well coated. Now you’re ready to add the liquid.
- Boil 3 cups of water. Remove the pan from the heat and slowly add the water to the pan. Adding hot water ensures that the flour doesn’t clump. Stir the pan as you add the water, again to ensure that the flour doesn’t clump.
Blending the Soup
- Put all of the mushroom mix into a food processor or a blender.
- Use the pulse button on the processor. The idea is to crush the mushrooms, but not to the point of complete disintegration. You want to be able to bite on the mushrooms as you enjoy the soup.
- Return the pan to the heat and pour the blended soup back into the pan.
- Cook for about 10 mins on low heat stirring occasionally.
- Now to make the soup creamy. Add 1 cup of heavy cream to the pan and stir well to mix. The heavy cream in combination with the blended mushrooms gives the soup real body.
- Continue to cook on low heat for another 4-5 mins stirring constantly. Now that there’s cream in the soup, it will burn if left.
Serve the mushroom soup hot and put 1/4 of the reserved mushrooms on top of the soup.
- Enjoy with a side of my Crusty Italian Bread.
- or my flavourful Arugula Pesto bread.
- We usually eat this soup as a main course since it’s so hearty and filling. But, you can always serve it as a starter soup.
If you like the recipe please leave a comment below. Don’t forget to sign up for the free newsletter and be the first to learn about all my new recipes. And, don’t forget to follow me on my social media accounts Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter.
Creamy Leek and Mushroom SoupCourse: Entree, Side, VegetarianCuisine: CanadianDifficulty: Easy
My hearty creamy mushroom soup serves as a meal and is the best you will ever have. Once you try it, you will never go back to canned soup.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 large leek (light green and white parts only)
3 garlic cloves
3 cups of sliced crimini mushrooms
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dehydrated parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt to taste
1/4 cup rice flour
3 cups of water
1 cup heavy cream
- Finely slice the leeks and garlic.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil and butter together. Add the leeks and garlic and cook for about 5 mins.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and cook for another 5 mins or till the mushrooms start to brown a little.
- Add the pepper, parsley, thyme, and salt. Mix well.
- Remove 1/4 cup of mushrooms and set aside. These will be used for topping the soup.
- Add the rice flour and mix well so all of the mushroom mix is coated well with the flour.
- Boil the water. Remove the pan from the heat and add the water to the pan slowly. Mix as you pour to avoid clumping.
- Place everything into a food processor or blender and use the pulse button to blend. You want to leave a few chunks of mushrooms and not make it completely smooth.
- Return the pan on to the heat and cook on low heat for about 10 mins.
- Add the cream and cook for another 4 -5 mins.
- Serve hot with a side of garlic bread or my flavourful arugula pesto bread pinwheel.