How did I come up with this healthy apple pie ricotta toast? In our house, apple pie is a welcome dessert at any time of year. Ricotta is another thing that is always welcome and I use it in many recipes. So, why not combine the two and enjoy a healthy apple pie ricotta toast for breakfast? It has become one of our favorite Sunday brunches.
The Ingredients for Apple Pie Ricotta Roast
I use these ingredients so often that they are often in my pantry and fridge.
Ingredients List for Apple Pie Ricotta Toast:
Here is what you will need for your healthy apple pie ricotta toast for your next Sunday brunch:
- 2 green apples (granny smith)
- 4 tablespoons liquid honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon butter (at room temperature)
- 475 grams ricotta (1 tub)
- 4 pieces of multigrain rye bread (or bread of choice)
- 4 tablespoons of shelled toasted pistachios
More Breakfast Ideas you will Like:
I love using green (granny smith) apples for my apple pie filling recipe and for cooking mostly. The tartness of the apples is so well contrasted with the sweetness that it makes for an amazing recipe – no matter what you use them in. If you are not a big fan of granny smith apples, you can use any apple for this. I have used other apples such as pink lady apples for this recipe and they work just as well.
We prefer our apple pie and this apple pie ricotta toast a slight bit on the tart side, so using the granny smith apples works best for me. And they tend to hold their shape well too, so that helps too.
If you choose to use a sweeter apple, add about 1/4 teaspoon of lemon juice to the pan. This will give the tartness to the apples that granny smith apples have. But if you prefer your apples sweeter over tart, skip the lemon juice altogether. The idea is to use any kind of apple that will not disintegrate as you cook it.
Let’s start with washing, coring, and slicing the apple. Slice the apple into 1/3 inch slices. I find cutting them into this size helps hold the shape well. In a medium sized pan, heat the butter and honey together. If your butter isn’t at room temperature, it will burn easily, so it’s best to have it at room temperature. Also, if your honey is a little solid, it’s best to thin it a little first – just to ensure that it doesn’t burn.
Once the honey and butter have melted add, the cinnamon and mix it in well. Add the apples and toss so the apples are well coated with the butter and cinnamon. If the apples are too dry, add a couple of tablespoons of water to the pan. Let the apples cook on medium low heat for up to 15 mins – or until they are just starting to get soft.
The Apple Pie Toast
Toast your bread to whatever brownness you prefer. I like my toast crisp and brown. I find the softness of the cheese contrasts with the crispness of the toast. Spread a quarter of the ricotta onto each of the toast once it’s toasted. Once the apples are cooked, spread a quarter of the apples on top of the ricotta. If there’s any access syrup left in the pan, pour a little on each toast using a spoon. This adds a little more deliciousness to the toast.
Coarsely chop and spread the pistachio on top of the apples. Enjoy with a warm cup of coffee or tea.
Tried and Liked the Recipe?
Scroll to the bottom of the page, and past the recipe to find the comment form. Please fill out details of what you liked and what you would like to see improved. Comments are loved! I look forward to hearing how much you enjoyed the recipe!
Don’t forget to sign up for the free newsletter and be the first to learn about all my new recipes. And, don’t forget to follow me on my social media accounts: Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, and Twitter.
Healthy Apple Pie Ricotta ToastCourse: Breakfast, DessertCuisine: CanadianDifficulty: Easy
This healthy apple pie ricotta toast is made with fresh apples and has no added artificial sugar. It’s crunchy, creamy, and just the right amount of sweetness and is going to brighten your morning.
2 green apples (granny smith)
4 tablespoons liquid honey
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon butter (at room temperature)
475 grams ricotta (1 tub)
4 pieces of multigrain rye bread (or bread of choice)
4 tablespoons of shelled toasted pistachios
- Wash, core, and peel the green apples. Slice them into 1/3 inch slices.
- In a medium sized pan, heat the butter and honey together. Add the cinnamon and mix to combine.
- Once the honey has melted and mixed in with the butter, add the apples and toss so that the apples are coated with the butter and honey mix.
- Cook the apples on a medium low heat for about 15 mins – or until they are just starting to soften. If the apples are too dry, add a couple of tablespoons of water.
- Toast the bread to your desired brownness.
- Spread 1/4 of the ricotta onto each piece of toast – this will depend on the size of toast you use. If your pieces are small, you might need more bread.
- Once the apples are done, place them on top of the ricotta and pour any additional liquid from the pan on top of the apples.
- Coarsely chop the pistachios and sprinkle them on top of the apples.
- Enjoy with a warm cup of tea or coffee.