How often have we gone to a Thai restaurant and enjoyed the Thai style peanut chicken skewers? Every time we go, we end up ordering that and we can’t get enough of it. We always get extra satay sauce to go with it. So, what’s better than trying to make and perfect that at home myself? Here we are. I did it! And believe me, when you try this peanut sauce, you will wonder why you ever went without it! Or ever got store bought satay sauce.
The Ingredients for Thai Style Peanut Chicken
Combine some peanut butter, herbs, and spices, and you will have an amazing sauce used as a marinade.
Ingredients List for Thai Style Peanut Chicken:
- 1 red or yellow chili
- 2 green onions (scallions)
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter (peanut only)
- 1 lime (juice of)
- 2 tablespoons Thai sweet chili sauce
- 2 large chicken breasts
Other Chicken Recipes you will Like:
Let’s start with making the marinade. This is such a delicious marinade. In fact, it’s a perfect satay sauce that can be used as a side or a dip for many dishes.
- Wash and chop the coriander, green onion, ginger, and chili.
- Add all of them to a blender or food processor.
- Peel and add the garlic.
- Add the peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, and Thai style sweet chili sauce to the food processor as well.
- Blend everything together until you have a smooth sauce.
- Taste and adjust for salt and spiciness as needed.
- If it’s not salty enough, add more salt to the sauce and blend again to ensure the salt gets evenly distributed.
I love this sauce so much, that I can eat it by the spoonfuls before I even get a chance of marinating. I always make extra and leave it in the fridge. Try it on crackers and you will never want another dip.
Marinating the Chicken
- Once the sauce is ready, chop the chicken into bite size cubes and place them in a large bowl.
- Add half the marinade into the bowl and mix well so that all of the meat is evenly coated.
- I usually start with half the sauce and if needed I add more. Save the rest and use it as a dipping sauce. It’s a fresh satay sauce and you will love it.
- Then allow the meat to sit for about 10 mins in the marinade. But this step is not necessary and can easily be skipped.
The peanut sauce is so delicious that it will flavour any protein without having to let it sit for too long. And you do want to avoid letting it sit in the marinade for too long. The acidity from the lime and the soy sauce tenderizes the meat and if left for too long, the protein will start to fall apart on the barbeque.
Once the Thai chicken is marinated
- Put the marinated pieces on the skewers and barbeque them on a 400 degrees F preheated bbq.
- You only need to cook them on each side for about 2-3 minutes. The breast cooks up really fast and if you overdo it, it tends to get dry. So avoid walking away from the barbeque once you place the skewers on it.
Oven Baking Process:
If you don’t have a barbeque or it’s too cold to barbeque, fret not, you can put the skewers into the oven and they will turn out just as delicious as barbequed chicken.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bake the skewers for about 20 minutes.
- Remember to flip them over at least once in between.
- And once they are cooked, turn the oven to broil and let them sit under for a minute to allow them to brown a little.
There are so many ways of enjoying the barbeque chicken
- Enjoy hot with a side of the reserved dipping satay sauce.
- Wrap the skewers in a pita and drizzle more sauce on them
- Enjoy with a side of Fresh Mango Salad.
- Try them on my Crunchy Vegetable Salad.
- I personally like to have them with Plain Bastami Rice and more satay sauce on the side.
If you like the recipe please leave a comment below. Don’t forget to sign up for the free newsletter and be the first to learn about all my new recipes. And, don’t forget to follow me on my social media accounts Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter.
Thai Style Peanut Chicken SkewersCourse: EntreeCuisine: AsianDifficulty: Easy
These Thai style peanut chicken skewers with the nutty peanut flavoured marinade are to die for. They are packed with flavor and are sure to become a new favorite.
2 large chicken breasts
1 red or yellow chili
2 green onions (scallions)
1/2 cup fresh coriander (cilantro)
2 garlic cloves
1 inch fresh ginger
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter (peanut only)
1 lime (juice of)
2 tablespoons Thai sweet chili sauce
- Chop the chicken into bite size pieces and place them into a bowl. Set aside.
- Wash and chop the coriander, green onion, ginger, and chili. Chop them into large chunks. Peel the garlic.
- Add all of the coriander, green onion, ginger, chili, and garlic to a blender or food processor. Add to it the peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, and Thai style sweet chili sauce. Blend everything together to form a marinade / satay sauce.
- Add half the marinade into the bowl containing your protein and mix so that all of it is coated. I usually start with half the sauce and if needed I add more. Set the remaining marinade aside to use as a dip. (Do not use left over sauce that was used for marinating).
- Allow the chicken to sit for about 10 mins in the marinade.
- Put the chicken onto skewers and barbeque on a 400 degrees F preheated bbq. Cook them on each side for about 2-3 minutes. Do not over cook or else the meat will dry up.
- Enjoy hot with a side of the remaining marinade sauce.
What is Thai peanut sauce made of?
– red or yellow chili
– green onions
– fresh coriander
– garlic cloves
– fresh ginger
– light soy sauce
– smooth peanut butter
– lime juice
– Thai sweet chili sauce