How often have we gone to a Thai restaurant and enjoyed Thai chicken skewers? Every time we go, we end up ordering that and we can’t get enough of it. We always get extra peanut sauce to go with it. Therefore, I thought what’s better than trying to make and perfect Easy Thai Chicken Skewers with peanut sauce at home myself? Here we are. I did it! And believe me, when you try this peanut sauce, you will wonder why you ever went without it! Or ever got store bought peanut sauce.
The Ingredients for Easy Thai Chicken Skewers
Combine some peanut butter, herbs, and spices, and you will have an amazing sauce used as a marinade.
Ingredients List for Easy Thai Chicken Skewers:
- 1 red or yellow chili
- 2 green onions (scallions)
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter (peanut only)
- 1 lime (juice of)
- 2 tablespoons Thai sweet chili sauce
- 2 large chicken breasts
Other Chicken Recipes you will Like:
The Marinade for Easy Thai Chicken Skewers:
Let’s start with making the marinade. This is indeed such a delicious marinade. In fact, it’s a perfect satay sauce that can be used as a side or a dip for many dishes.
- Let’s start with washing and chopping the coriander, green onion, ginger, and chili.
- Add all of them to a blender or food processor.
- Peel and add the garlic.
- Then, add the peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, and Thai style sweet chili sauce to the food processor as well.
- Blend everything together until you have a smooth sauce and give it a taste.
- However, if it’s not salty enough, add more salt to the sauce and blend again to ensure the salt gets evenly distributed.
I love this sauce so much, that I can eat it by the spoonfuls before I even get a chance to marinate. I always make extra and leave it in the fridge. Try it on crackers and you will never want another dip.
Watch How to Make the Marinade
Marinating the Chicken
- Once the sauce is ready, chop the chicken into bite size cubes and place them in a large bowl.
- Add half the marinade into the bowl and mix well so that all of the meat is evenly coated.
- Although I usually start with half the sauce, if needed I add more. Instead, if I have extra, I save it and use it as a dipping sauce. It’s a fresh satay sauce and you will love it.
- Then allow the meat to sit for about 10 mins in the marinade. But this step is not necessary and can easily be skipped.
The peanut sauce is so delicious that it will flavour any protein without having to let it sit for too long. You do want to avoid letting it sit in the marinade for too long since the acidity from the lime and the soy sauce tenderizes the meat if left for too long. If left in the marinade too long the protein will start to fall apart on the barbeque.
Once the Thai chicken is marinated
- Begin with putting the marinated chicken pieces onto skewers. I use metal skewers, which can be washed after each use and reused. However, if you use wooden skewers, remember to soak them in water for about an hour prior to using them. This helps prevent them from burning.
- Immediately place the skewers on a 400 degree F preheated barbeque.
- You only need to cook them on each side for about 2-3 minutes. The breast cooks up really fast and if you overdo it, it tends to get dry. So avoid walking away from the barbeque once you place the skewers on it.
Oven Baking Process:
If you don’t have a barbeque or it’s too cold to barbeque, fret not, you can put the skewers into the oven and they will turn out just as delicious as barbequed chicken.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bake the skewers for about 20 minutes.
- Remember to flip them over at least once in between.
- And once they are cooked, turn the oven to broil and let them sit under for a minute to allow them to brown a little.
Serving Suggestions for Easy Thai Chicken Skewers:
There are so many ways of enjoying the barbeque chicken
- Enjoy hot with a side of the reserved dipping satay sauce.
- Wrap the skewers in a pita and drizzle more sauce on them
- Enjoy with a side of Fresh Mango Salad.
- Try them on my Crunchy Vegetable Salad.
- I personally like to have them with Plain Bastami Rice and more satay sauce on the side.
Tried and Liked the Recipe?
Scroll to the bottom of the page, and past the recipe to find the comment form. Please fill out details of what you liked and what you would like to see improved. Comments are loved! I look forward to hearing how much you enjoyed the recipe!
Don’t forget to sign up for the free newsletter and be the first to learn about all my new recipes. And, don’t forget to follow me on my social media accounts: Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, and Twitter.
Easy Thai Chicken SkewersCourse: EntreeCuisine: AsianDifficulty: Easy
My Easy Thai Chicken Skewers are marinated in a nutty homemade peanut sauce. They are packed with flavor, tender, juicy, and delicious.
2 large chicken breasts
1 red or yellow chili
2 green onions (scallions)
1/2 cup fresh coriander (cilantro)
2 garlic cloves
1 inch fresh ginger
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter (peanut only)
1 lime (juice of)
2 tablespoons Thai sweet chili sauce
- Chop the chicken into bite size pieces and place them into a bowl. Set aside.
- Wash and chop the coriander, green onion, ginger, and chili. Chop them into large chunks. Peel the garlic.
- Add all of the coriander, green onion, ginger, chili, and garlic to a blender or food processor. Add to it the peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, and Thai style sweet chili sauce. Blend everything together to form a marinade / satay sauce.
- Add half the marinade into the bowl containing your protein and mix so that all of it is coated. I usually start with half the sauce and if needed I add more. Set the remaining marinade aside to use as a dip. (Do not use leftover sauce that was used for marinating).
- Allow the chicken to sit for about 10 mins in the marinade.
- Put the chicken onto skewers and barbeque on a 400 degrees F preheated bbq. Cook them on each side for about 2-3 minutes. Do not overcook or else the meat will dry up.
- Enjoy hot with a side of the remaining marinade sauce.
Thai peanut sauce is made up of a bunch of fresh ingredients:
red or yellow chili
– green onions
– fresh coriander
– garlic cloves
– fresh ginger
– light soy sauce
– smooth peanut butter
– lime juice
– Thai sweet chili
The main ingredients for easy Thai chicken skewers are the marinade or homemade Thai peanut sauce, and some chicken breasts or thighs. Chop the chicken into bite size pieces and marinate them for about 10-15 minutes. Put it onto skewers and barbeque them.
Yes. My recipe calls for a satay sauce marinade which is made of fresh herbs and peanut butter. Peanut butter is moderately low in carbs and the amount used in this recipe is quite low, so it is good for a Keto diet. Skip the Thai sweet chili sauce when you make the marinade and enjoy the recipe.