One fall day we went pumpkin with some friends. It was a beautiful crisp day. We spent time doing the things you do at a farm and then headed to the market. I love those markets. They have so many hidden treasures if you have the time to look. Our friend’s daughter saw a gourmet chicken pot pie on the menu of frozen items and ran to get some, but they were out. She was so disappointed. So, the next time they came over, I surprised her with my chicken pot pie. She was over the moon and said “For real Deepti, this is like the best chicken pot pie I ever had!”
Making a pot pie is not difficult. It takes a little time, but it’s totally worth the effort in the end. It’s a labour of love in my opinion.
Ingredients for Gourmet Chicken Pot Pie
What I really like about the pot pie is it’s a meal all by itself. It has protein, vegetables, and starch all in one.
Ingredients List for this Dinner Recipe:
- 2 pie crusts (recipe here)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sliced leeks
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh (or dried) thyme
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup frozen corn – thawed
- 1/2 cup frozen peas – thawed
- 1/2 cup grated (shredded) carrots
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
More Entree Recipes you will Like:
The base for Gourmet Chicken Pot Pie
Let’s start with the leeks.
- Wash the whites and light greens of a whole leek and slice it into thin slices. Sometimes leeks have sand in them so be careful to wash them properly or else your pot pie filling will be gritty and not fun to eat. If you prefer, you can wash the leeks once cut. This ensures that the sand gets washed away properly. If you do this, then pat dry the slices on a paper towel.
- In a medium sized pan, add your oil and butter together and let the butter melt. Add the leeks to the pan and let them soften and brown a slight bit. This will take about 4-5 mins.
- Once the leeks have softened, add the sliced mushrooms to the pan and let them cook. I like to cook my mushrooms all the way because my husband doesn’t like the texture of mushrooms when they are not well cooked – at least in his pot pie.
- Add salt and pepper to the pan and mix well. Remove the thyme leaves from the stems and put them into the pan.
Adding the Chicken
Now the pan is ready for the chicken.
- Cut 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts into bit size pieces and toss them into the pan.
- Cook the meat for about 3-4 mins. Do not cook the chicken all the way. It will continue to cook while the pot pie is baking.
- Once the chicken has cooked, add the flour to the pan and stir well.
- Add the half and half and the milk into the pan. The flour will help the half and half and milk to thicken a slight bit.
- Add the green peas and carrots to the pan and turn the heat off.
- Let the pot pie mix cool down before you put it into the pie shell.
The Pie Crust
My pie crust recipe can be found here. My recipe makes two pie crusts, so it’s perfect for this chicken pot pie recipe. Sometimes when I am in a bit of a rush (or just not wanting to go through the making of the pie crust), I use store bought crust. It works just as well.
In order to make sure the pie crust gets cooked, you need to bake the bottom half.
- Prick one pie crust with a fork ever so slightly. Do not make holes with the forks that go through the crust. You just want to poke it a little so the crust doesn’t bubble up when baked.
- Bake it at 400 degrees F for about 10 mins.
- Let it cool completely before you put the pie mix into the crust.
Baking the Dinner Recipe
Once the pie crust has cooled down, and the filling has cooled down a little. Put the filling into the crust.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Cover with the unbaked pie crust and pinch the sides together.
- Make a few cuts on the top of the pie shell. This allows the steam to escape and helps the pie crust crisp up.
- Bake the chicken pot pie for about 30 mins – or till the crust is brown and crisp.
Serving Suggestions for this Chicken Recipe:
Let it cool down for about 3-5 mins and then cut it into 6 slices. Enjoy it with:
Tried and Liked the Recipe?
Scroll to the bottom of the page, and past the recipe to find the comment form. Please fill out details of what you liked and what you would like to see improved. Comments are loved! I look forward to hearing how much you enjoyed the recipe!
Don’t forget to sign up for the free newsletter and be the first to learn about all my new recipes. And, don’t forget to follow me on my social media accounts: Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, and Twitter.
Gourmet Chicken Pot PieCourse: EntreeCuisine: CanadianDifficulty: Medium
This chicken pot pie with its soft, tender, creamy, perfectly spiced center and flaky double crust will make your day. It is the perfect comfort food.
2 pie crusts (recipe here)
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup sliced leeks
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 teaspoon fresh (or dried) thyme
2 boneless chicken breasts
1/2 cup frozen corn – thawed
1/2 cup frozen peas – thawed
1/2 cup grated (shredded) carrots
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/2 cup half and half
1/2 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prick one of the pie crusts with a fork and bake it for 10 mins.
- In a large pan, heat the oil and put the sliced leeks into it. Cook for about 5 mins.
- Add the sliced mushrooms to the pan and cook for about 5 mins.
- Add the salt, pepper, and fresh thyme leaves into the pan and mix well.
- Cut the chicken breast into bite size pieces and add to the pan. Cook for about 4 mins. Do not cook the chicken all the way. The chicken will continue to cook in the oven as the pie bakes.
- Add the flour to the pan and stir well to coat the chicken.
- Add the half and half as well as the milk and mix well. As it heats, it will thicken a slight bit.
- Add the green peas and carrots and mix well and turn the heat off. Let the mix cool down before you put it into the pie crust.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place the chicken mix into the bottom pre-baked pie crust. Cover with the unbaked pie crust. Make a few one inch cuts on the pie. This will allow steam to escape and the pie crust to a crisp.
- Let it cool down for about 3-4 mins and then cut it into 6 slices. Enjoy with a side of fresh salad.
- – I use the same crust that I use for my quiche recipe. The recipe makes two pie crusts and it’s perfect for this recipe.