Taco salad has to be one of those things that we enjoy very often at home. It’s so delicious and versatile. You can add and remove ingredients as you see fit. Make it a vegetarian or a vegan version by replacing the chicken with beans or even tofu and skipping the cheese.
Lots of fresh vegetables, some chicken, and dressing is all that’s needed.
The Ingredients List:
- 1 head romaine lettuce (about 4 cups)
- 1 English cucumber
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 avocado
- 1 red pepper
- 1 cup marble cheddar
- 1 small red onion
- 2 cups pulled Mexican chicken (recipe here)
- crispy jalapeno (optional)
- 1/2 cup salsa (optional)
More Salad Recipes you will Like:
The Pulled Chicken:
First off, let’s make the one pot Mexican pulled chicken. You can find my recipe here. It is very easy to make and it tastes amazing in this recipe. You can use the same recipe to make pulled pork or pulled beef or even pulled chicken. The same recipe can be used to make delicious Mexican beans if you prefer a vegetarian or vegan version.
Once the chicken is ready, we can get on with the vegetables.
- If using frozen corn, place the corn in a small pot and cover it with water. Add about 1/4 teaspoon of salt and bring the water to a boil and let the corn boil for about 3-4 minutes.
- Drain and put the corn back into the pan. Add one tablespoon of butter, salt, and pepper to taste and mix. There is no need to turn the heat back on. Allow it to cool down before using.
- Alternatively, you can use fresh corn on the cob and boil it, shuck it and add butter.
- There’s a third option for corn. During the summer I like to barbeque my corn and then shuck it. Barbequing the corn enhances the flavour and it goes really well with the Mexican chicken.
Now that the corn is ready, we can work on the rest of the vegetables:
- Wash and roughly chop the lettuce.
- Peel the onion and finely slice it.
- Wash and chop the red pepper. You can chop it into cubes or slices.
- Wash and chop the cucumber. Again it can be chopped into cubes or slices or batons.
- I like to place each vegetable in a separate bowl or plate. That way everyone has a choice of what they want in their bowls.
- I like to chop the avocado when we are almost ready to serve. This helps keep the avocado green. If left chopped for too long, the avocado gets oxidized and turns brown quickly. To chop my avocado, I slice it into two – lengthwise – and using a large sharp knife, I remove the pit. Then peel it and slice it or chop it into bite sized chunks.
- I like to use marble cheddar, but you can use medium cheddar or mozzarella, or even Havarti. They all taste amazing with this recipe. I like to leave the cheese in the fridge until I am just ready to grate and use it. I like my cheese hard and cold.
The Assembling Process:
Now we are ready to enjoy our Mexican food. I like to make mine like a cob salad. I arrange my vegetables on a plate as you can see in the pictures. My husband likes all the vegetables mixed together. That’s what I like about this recipe – Its versatility.
I make a dressing to go with the healthy food.
- Add sour cream, hot sauce, mayonnaise, and lime or a bowl.
- Mix everything together to form a creamy dressing.
- Or you can use any other kind of creamy dressing.
- Replace the pulled chicken with pulled pork.
- Add some crunch by adding some crumbled crunchies on top.
- Serve it in a hard flour or corn shell bowl instead of on a plate.
- Add some black beans to the mix.
If you like the recipe please leave a comment below. Don’t forget to sign up for the free newsletter and be the first to learn about all my new recipes. And, don’t forget to follow me on my social media accounts
Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter.
Taco Salad with Pulled ChickenCourse: MainCuisine: Tex MexDifficulty: Easy
My taco salad is loaded with fresh ingredients and served with Mexican pulled chicken. It takes no time to make and can be enjoyed any day of the week.
1 head romaine lettuce (about 4 cups)
1 English cucumber
2 cups frozen corn
1 red pepper
1 cup marble cheddar
1 small red onion
2 cups pulled Mexican chicken (recipe here)
crispy jalapeno (optional)
1/2 cup salsa (optional)
- Make the one pot Mexican pulled chicken. You can find my recipe here.
- Place the frozen corn in a small pot and cover it with water. Add about 1/4 teaspoon of salt and bring the water to a boil and let the corn boil for about 3-4 minutes. Drain and put the corn back into the pan. Add one tablespoon of butter, salt, and pepper to taste and mix.
- Wash and roughly chop the lettuce. Peel the onion and finely slice it. Wash and chop the red pepper into cubes or slices.
- Peel and slice or chop the avocado into bite sized chunks. Grate the cheese.
- Dress it with a creamy dressing or a home made dressing made with sour cream, hot sauce, mayonnaise, and lime.
What is in a Taco Salad?
What type of dressing goes with Taco Salad?
– Add sour cream, hot sauce, mayonnaise, and lime or a bowl.
– Mix everything together to form a creamy dressing.
How is a Taco different from a Taco Salad?
Check out other Entree recipes here.