My honey mustard chicken thighs can be baked or they can be put on the barbecue for an equally delicious meal. They are so easy to make and can be enjoyed with the family during the week or with company on any day. During the winter months, this is one of my favourite recipes to make. Just put everything together and pop it into the oven and forget about it until it’s ready to enjoy.
The Ingredients for Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs
The sweetness of the honey along with the spiciness of the mustard are a perfect match for this dinner recipe.
Ingredients List for Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs:
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons whole grain dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon red chili flakes (less for a less spicy version)
- Salt and pepper to taste
More Chicken Recipes you will Like:
Making the Marinate for the Dinner Recipe
The first thing to do is to marinate the meat.
- In a large mixing bowl, add four tablespoons of pure honey, three tablespoons of whole grain dijon mustard, and one tablespoon of regular dijon mustard.
- Mix together everything.
- I find that whole grain mustard gives the honey mustard chicken a much better flavour than plain dijon mustard.
- To the bowl, add two tablespoons of onion powder, one tablespoon of garlic powder, and one tablespoon of red chili flakes, and mix with the wet ingredients.
- Add salt and pepper to taste as well.
- Add eight bone-in and skin-on chicken thighs to the bowl and mix so that the chicken is coated with the honey mustard mix. You can use boneless chicken thighs if you prefer. Or even use bone-in, but no skin thighs.
Marinating the Chicken
Coat the chicken all over to ensure an even coating. You should see the whole grain mustard spread all over the chicken thigh (or the skin if you are using skin-on thighs).
Cover the bowl with a clean tea towel and let it sit and marinate for about half an hour to an hour. This allows the meat to tenderize a little and flavour the chicken all the way through to the bone.
Place it into a baking dish of choice – one that will fit all eight pieces of chicken thighs. The thighs tend to let go of a lot of their juices while they bake, so using a baking tray will not be a good idea. A baking dish will hold on to those juices instead and will make the meat tender and delicious as it cooks. And the jus makes an amazing gravy.
Baking the Healthy Recipe
Let’s bake the thighs:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bake the honey mustard thighs for about 30 mins or until you see the chicken skin brown.
- There will be a bit of liquid collected at the bottom of the baking dish. Do not discard that liquid.
Serving Suggestions for this Easy Dinner Recipe:
Once the chicken has finished cooking, remove the baking dish from the oven and let it sit for about five minutes. Serve with a side of sautéed mushrooms and broccoli.
- The juice that is collected in the baking dish can be used to make the best gravy ever.
- Or it can be used to dip my homemade Italian bread in.
- Try the thighs with my Crunchy Vegetable Salad.
If you like the recipe please leave a comment below. Don’t forget to sign up for the free newsletter and be the first to learn about all my new recipes. And, don’t forget to follow me on my social media accounts Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter.
Honey Mustard Chicken ThighsCourse: EntreeCuisine: CanadianDifficulty: Easy
These honey mustard chicken thighs are sticky, sweet, spicy, and perfectly delicious. They are so addictive that once you try them, you will want them all the time.
8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
4 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons whole grain dijon mustard
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon red chili flakes (less for a less spicy version)
Salt and pepper to taste
- Marinate the chicken
- In a large mixing bowl, add the honey, whole grain mustard, and regular mustard. Mix all wet ingredients
- Add the onion powder, garlic powder, chili flakes, salt, and pepper to the bowl and mix the dry ingredients with the wet.
- Place the chicken thighs into the bowl and mix well to coat the chicken with the honey mustard mix. Make sure all sides of the chicken are coated. You should be able to see the whole grain mustard all over the chicken.
- Cover the bowl with a clean tea towel and let the chicken sit and marinate for about half an hour.
- Cooking the chicken
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the chicken thighs in a baking dish – one that will fit all 8 thighs.
- Bake the chicken for about 30 mins or until the chicken skin is browned.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for about 5 mins before serving.
Serve with a side of sautéed mushrooms and broccoli or any vegetable of choice.
- Use the juice that collects in the bottom of the baking dish to make gravy or to dip my homemade Italian bread in.
- – try this recipe with tofu or paneer instead of chicken for a vegetarian meal.