My dearest Milanese friend makes the best tiramisu. This is a recipe that is adapted from hers. If you are going to make a tiramisu at home, it has to be using this recipe. Trust me, when you make it once, you will never go back to having tiramisu at restaurants.
Ingredients for Tiramisu
6 simple ingredients give you a delicious dessert.
Ingredients List for Tiramisu
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 475 grams of mascarpone cheese
- 1 box of ladyfinger cookies
- 2 cups of cold coffee
- 1/4 cup of cocoa powder for topping
More Desserts you will Like
To make our delicious tiramisu, we need to start by making coffee.
- Make 2 cups of strong coffee and set it aside to allow it to cool down completely.
- I use a good quality coffee. The better your coffee, the better your tiramisu will taste.
The Egg Yolks
Next, we need to make the creamy cheese mixture.
- Start by separating four egg yolks and white.
- Place the yolks in one bowl and the whites in another bowl.
- Add 1 cup of sugar to the egg yolks and mix it in well.
- I use an electric whisk because it helps mix the sugar better.
- Continue to whisk until the sugar has dissolved and you have a light yellow fluffy mixture.
Once the sugar has dissolved, we can add our mascarpone cheese.
- Add all of the mascarpone cheese to the egg yolk and sugar mixture.
- Whisk it in until you have a smooth consistency and all of the cheese is blended into the egg yolks.
- Cover and set it aside.
The Egg Whites
Next, come the egg whites.
- Properly wash and dry your whisk.
- Whisk your egg whites until you have stiff peaks.
Mixing the Yolks and Whites
Once you have your stiff peak egg whites, we can mix them into the yolks.
- Add 1/4 of the egg whites to the yolks and gently fold them in.
- Once they are folded in, add the remaining whites and fold them in.
- We need to be gentle with mixing the whites in so as not to lose the air we just added to them by whisking them.
Making the Tiramisu
We have our coffee ready, our creamy cheesy mix ready and we are now ready to put the tiramisu together.
- Take one lady finger and quickly dip it in the cooled down coffee. Do not let the fingers sit in the coffee or they will disintegrate.
- Place it in a deep dish that can hold 4 layers. I use a 4-inch deep serving dish.
- Continue to layer the lady fingers until you have covered the bottom. Do not worry about the spaces left empty. They will be filled with the cheesy mixture.
- Pour 1/2 the sweet cheesy mixture on top of the fingers and even it out.
- Make a second layer of fingers by dipping and placing them on top of the cheesy mixture.
- Once you have the fingers layered, pour the remaining half of the cheesy mix on top of the fingers and spread it out evenly.
- Cover it and place it in the fridge for up to 2 hours.
- Remove it from the fridge just before serving and sprinkle with cocoa powder. Serve cold.
Tried and Liked the Recipe?
Scroll to the bottom of the page, and past the recipe to find the comment form. Please fill out details of what you liked and what you would like to see improved. Comments are loved! I look forward to hearing how much you enjoyed the recipe!
Don’t forget to sign up for the free newsletter and be the first to learn about all my new recipes. And, don’t forget to follow me on my social media accounts: Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, and Twitter.
TiramisuCourse: DessertCuisine: MediterraneanDifficulty: Easy
My tiramisu recipe is made with a slightly sweet mascarpone cheese layer between coffee soaked lady fingers. It’s not only easy to make but delicious too.
475 grams of mascarpone cheese
2 cups of cold coffee
1 cup of white sugar
1 box of ladyfinger cookies
1/4 cup of cocoa powder for topping
- Make 2 cups of strong coffee and allow it to cool down completely before your start with your eggs.
- Separate your eggs, putting the whites into one bowl and the yolks into another.
- Add the sugar to the yolks and whisk with an electric whisk on the highest setting for about 5 minutes.
- Continue to whisk until all the sugar has dissolved and the yolks are pale and fluffy.
- Mix in the mascarpone using the whisk.
- Clean and dry your whisk, and whisk the whites until they form stiff peaks.
- Add a 1/4 of the egg whites to the yolk mixture and gently fold them in.
- Then fold in the rest of the whites, remembering to be gentle.
- Take one lady finger and dip it in the cooled down coffee.
- DO NOT let the coffee sit in the coffee. Just dip and pull out.
- Place the fingers at the bottom of a large dish and continue to dip fingers until you have the base of the dish filled with fingers.
- Gently lift 1/2 of the creamy mixture and place it on top of the fingers.
- Smooth the mixture.
- Place another layer of smoothed lady fingers on top of the mixture.
- Spread the remaining mixture on top of the fingers.
- Cover the dish and place it in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Remove just before serving and sprinkle the cocoa powder on top.
Traditional Italian tiramisu is made with eggs, sugar, mascarpone cheese, coffee, lady fingers and topped with cocoa powder. It is creamy, sweet, with a coffee flavour.
Traditionally, tiramisu is made with the addition of a coffee liquor. However, to make it kid friendly, I do not use any coffee liquor. It tastes just as good and kids always come back for more.
Traditional tiramisu is made and cooled in the refrigerator for up to 2 hours. You could eat it right away, but it definitely tastes much better when cooled.