Individual trifle is one of my favorite desserts. I grew up with trifle and it was one of my favorites. I used to make it all the time when I was a teenager. And even made it a lot when my husband and I got together. For some reason, I stopped making it. Then one day my husband said, I really feel like having some trifle, so I rediscovered it and now I am in love again.
The Ingredients for Perfect Individual Trifle
All that’s needed to make the perfect individual trifle is good custard and a good sponge cake. And of course some sherry. What’s trifle without some sherry?
Ingredients List for Custard Trifle:
- 2 cups thick custard
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 2 tablespoons strawberry or raspberry jam (optional)
- 8 individual sponge cakes
- 8 tablespoons sherry (optional)
- 1/4 cup shelled toasted pistachios
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
More Dessert Ideas you will Like:
Prepping for the Perfect Individual Trifle
Make two cups worth of custard any way you like. Make sure it’s not too runny. It has to be a little thick so that when you assemble the trifle, it doesn’t run through the layers. Set it aside and let it cool down completely. I place mine in the fridge so it sets a little before I assemble the trifle.
Wash and slice one cup of fresh strawberries and place them in a bowl. Add to them two tablespoons of strawberry or raspberry jam and mix well. Let them sit aside for a few mins. Wash and set aside one cup of fresh raspberries. You can use any kind of berries you like. Bananas taste delicious with custard and this individual trifle will taste amazing with the addition of some bananas in place of the berries too.
Once the custard has cooled down enough, remove it from the fridge. I use jars that have lids to make my individual trifle, but you can use anything. Mason jars work, wine glasses are great when serving this to guests, and of course, parfait glasses are great for this dessert.
Slice the sponge cake into eight individual circular shapes that will fit into the vessel of your choice. Set them aside. Pour about eight tablespoons worth of sherry into a glass. No, this is not for you to drink while you assemble. It’s for use in the recipe. Of course, you can pour another glass for your own consumption while you do this.
Assembling the English Trifle
Place about two tablespoons of the fresh raspberries in the bottom of whatever vessel you are using to assemble the individual trifle. Place one of the circles of sponge cake on top of the raspberries. Pour about one tablespoon worth of sherry on top of the sponge and give it a few seconds to get absorbed into the sponge. The sherry is optional. If making it for kids, you can always skip this step.
Pour about a quarter cup of the thick custard on top of the sherry-soaked sponge cake. Add about a tablespoon or so of shelled pistachios on top of the custard. Now add about two tablespoons of jam-soaked strawberries on top of the custard. This is the reason you need your custard to be thick. Because if your custard was not thick enough, it would just run through and the fruit would just get mixed right through. You want to be able to see the layers.
Add a second sponge cake on top of the strawberries and pour another tablespoon worth of sherry on top of the sponge. Allow it another little bit to soak into the sponge. Add another quarter cup of custard on top of the second sponge. Now you are almost ready to enjoy your individual trifle.
Adding the Fresh Cream
Whip about a half cup worth of fresh cream. Add about a quarter of the whipped cream on top of the custard. Chop some of the pistachios using a sharp knife or mortar and pestle and sprinkle them on top of the whipped cream. Alternatively, you can sprinkle some shaved chocolate on top of the cream as well. Enjoy cold.
If you like the recipe please leave a comment below. Don’t forget to sign up for the free newsletter and be the first to learn about all my new recipes. And, don’t forget to follow me on my social media accounts Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter.
The Perfect Individual TrifleCourse: DessertCuisine: EnglishDifficulty: Easy
This authentic English individual trifle is made with custard, pound cake, and berries. It is an easy dessert that you can whip up in no time and impress your family and guests alike.
2 cups thick custard
1 cup fresh strawberries
1 cup fresh raspberries
2 tablespoons strawberry or raspberry jam (optional)
8 individual sponge cakes
8 tablespoons sherry (optional)
1/4 cup shelled toasted pistachios
1/2 cup whipping cream
- Make 2 cups of custard, any way you prefer, and let it sit till it’s cold enough to be used. I make mine and set it aside till it’s lukewarm and then place it in the fridge for a little bit to cool it down further.
- Slice the strawberries and place them in a mixing bowl. Add the jam to the berries and mix, so the berries are coated with the jam. Set aside for about 5 mins.
- Once the custard has cooled down, remove it from the fridge, so we can assemble the trifles.
- Place 2 tablespoons of raspberries at the bottom of the jar or container that you are using to assemble the trifles.
- Cut the sponge cake into circular bits that will fit the jar or container that you are using. Top the raspberries with one piece of sponge cake.
- Pour about 1 tablespoon of sherry on the sponge cake and let it soak in.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of custard on top of the sponge cake and let it settle/spread around a little.
- Add 1 tablespoon of shelled pistachios on top of the sponge cake.
- Add about 2 tablespoons of strawberries (or 1/8th of the amount) on top of the custard and then add a second sponge cake on top of that. Add another tablespoon of sherry and let it soak in.
- Top the sponge with another 1/4 cup of custard. If using jars, close them with the lid and place them in the fridge for a few mins to allow them to settle (optional).
- Whip some fresh cream and top the trifle with it.
- Chop the pistachios into bits using a sharp knife or a mortar and pestle. Sprinkle on top of the whipped cream just before serving. Alternatively, you can sprinkle it with some shaved chocolate bits. Enjoy cold.
- – Try making this with other types of berries or even bananas.