My gluten free chicken fingers are guaranteed to convert any non-lover. My kids love them and when we go out to eat, they often want them. I too love them, but since I prefer to eat gluten-free, I had to come up with a recipe that we would all enjoy without the gluten from the coating getting in the way. Everyone I have served this recipe to has loved it.
The Ingredients for this Gluten Free Recipe
Although traditional chicken fingers are coated with regular flour before being cooked., my chicken fingers are coated with a delicious almond and coconut mix. They are flavored with just the right amount of spices and baked – not fried.
The Ingredients List for Gluten Free Chicken Fingers:
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1/4 unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce of choice
- 2 organic chicken breasts
More Chicken Recipes you will Like:
Making the Coating for the Chicken Recipe
The first thing we need to do to make these delicious gluten-free chicken fingers is to make the coating.
- In a food processor, grind one cup of whole almonds till they are finely ground. If you don’t have a food processor, you can always use whole almond meal.
- I like using the whole almond because it gives the coating a beautiful brownish color even before the chicken fingers are baked.
- I like to use a soup bowl for putting together the chicken fingers, but you can use any bowl or deep dish that you have available.
- Transfer the almond flour into your bowl or deep dish and add to it a quarter cup of unsweetened desiccated coconut.
- Mix the two so that you can no longer see the whites of the coconut.
- Add one tablespoon of onion powder, one teaspoon of garlic powder, salt, and pepper (to taste) to the bowl with the almond mix.
- Mix well, so that the spices are well combined with the almond coconut mix.
Coating the Gluten Free Chicken Fingers
Now we are ready to coat the chicken fingers.
- Beat one egg into a bowl and add a couple of tablespoons of water to it.
- Add one tablespoon of your favorite garlic chili sauce (or any chili sauce of choice) to the bowl and mix everything together.
- Slice the chicken breasts into three equal pieces.
- Dip one piece into the egg mix and then drop it into the almond coconut mix.
- Press the chicken down into the almond mix so one side gets coated well.
- Turn over and press down again to coat the second side. Place the coated chicken fingers onto a parchment-lined baking tray.
- Repeat until all of the chicken pieces are coated.
Baking the Healthy Gluten Free Chicken Fingers
Now that the chicken fingers are ready and coated with the delicious almond and coconut mix, we are ready to bake them.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and place the baking tray onto the middle rack.
- Bake the chicken fingers for about twelve to fifteen minutes and then flip them.
- Be careful not to scrape the coating off the chicken as you flip it.
- The coating will be soft when hot and will easily come off if you are not careful.
- Continue to bake for another ten to twelve minutes or until you see that the coating is browned.
- Remove from the oven and let your gluten free chicken fingers sit in the tray for a couple of mins. This allows the temperature to drop just a little, so you can lift and plate without damaging the coating.
Enjoy your gluten free chicken fingers :
- With spicy aioli
- And my oven-baked french fries on the side.
- I love having my raw zucchini salad.
- They taste great the next day. Heat them in a toaster oven and enjoy.
Tried and Liked the Recipe?
Scroll to the bottom of the page, and past the recipe to find the comment form. Please fill out details of what you liked and what you would like to see improved. Comments are loved! I look forward to hearing how much you enjoyed the recipe!
Don’t forget to sign up for the free newsletter and be the first to learn about all my new recipes. And, don’t forget to follow me on my social media accounts: Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, and Twitter.
Gluten Free Chicken FingersCourse: MainCuisine: CanadianDifficulty: Easy
These gluten free chicken fingers are coated with an almond and coconut mix and baked till they are tender and golden brown. They will become a favorite with the family.
1 cup ground almonds
1/4 unsweetened desiccated coconut
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon chili sauce of choice
2 organic chicken breasts
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a food processor grind the almonds until they are almost turned into almond meal. Alternatively, use store-bought almond meal.
- Mix the desiccated coconut, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper into the almond meal. Mix well to combine. Place into a deep dish.
- Beat an egg in another deep dish. Add 2 tablespoons of water to the egg and the chili sauce of your choice. Mix well to combine.
- Cut each of the chicken breasts into three equal pieces.
- Place one piece of chicken breast into the egg mix and then place it into the almond coconut coating mix. Press down so that one side gets coated well. Turn and press down again to coat the second side.
- Place the coated chicken onto a parchment line 9×13 inch baking tray.
- Repeat steps 5, 6 & 7 until all the chicken is coated and placed on the tray.
- Place the tray onto the middle rack and bake for about 12-15 mins.
- Turn the chicken over, so that the chicken bakes evenly. Bake for a further 10-12 mins or until the coating is browned. Remove from the oven and let cool for about 2 mins on the tray before serving. Be careful not to scrape the coating off when you turn.
- Enjoy with a side of spicy aioli and my oven baked french fries.